1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which to use? Image vs audio CD

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by bigdm, Dec 26, 2004.

1. bigdm

bigdm Member

I am confused on what are the advatages or disadvantages of Images over a normal audio CD. Maybe because I don't know how images work. All I would like to do is copy store bought CDs from friends to CD disc to play in my changer. I do not want to store these files on my HD permanently.
    I have Nero6 and a window application that can copy CD albums/tracks but I am not sure that that is all that I need to rip copy protected CDs. I read information about using a software called Exact Audio Copy but is that to be used in conjunction with Nero. Now I have read a guide on creating images and am totally confused as to whether I should be creating images. I want to create the highest quality audio CD possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bigdm

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Making an image of a CD is useful for data CDs, to store all the files in on image file, to maintian the entire CD structure. For example, if you have a CD of a program, say Adobe Premiere for example, you could make in image of it in nero, in an .iso file, which you could save on your computer for backup. So if that CD is lost, you still have the entire CD in an image file that can be restored and used.

As for audio, you don't need to make an image if you just want to copy a CD. If its not copy protected, you should be able to just do the 'copy cd' funtion in nero. If it is protected, you will have to rip the CD to your computer, then burn to disk. Here's the guide to help rip protected audio CDs:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/70597

3. bigdm

bigdm Member

djscoop, Thanks for the reply. I have been using Nero to copy mixed music CDs which probably were non-protected. I wanted to be prepared on how I go about copying protected music CDs. I had already looked at the link you referred me to and had questions. That is why in my 1st post I asked about how you use EAC with Nero or do you not need Nero. Does the Nero Rom instructions work? I have a HP DVD writer and ROM.

Thanks,
    Donald

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I have successfully copied two copy-protected CDs, simply by disabling the auto-start feature of the cdrom drive so that when the cd is inserted, these small programs that prevent copying aren't installed. After that, I was able to both rip the CD to mp3 using EAC, and do a disc copy in nero. So I would suggest first trying to do a regular copy in nero. If that doesn't work, then you may have a different type of protected cd. if I recall, there are two or three different kinds, luckily mine where the easy fix ones. Sorry I'm not more help, but I doubt you should have any serious problems copying.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You can either use the audiophile's route (which I know nothing about) or even use something like Alcohol120/Blindwrite to make an image of the AudioCD. :)