1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Transcoding Tools Produce The Best Picture Quality.

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Sophocles, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I've just returned from a website where a quality comparison was being made between the applications listed below. We all have our opinions as to which one we think is the best but do we really know?

Ahead Nero Recode 2 ver. 2.0.0.7

Elaborate Bytes CloneDVD v.1.3.11.2

DVD X Copy XPRESS

DVD2one v. 1.40 DVD Shrink v. 1.3.1

Pinnacle InstantCopy v. 7.0

InterVideo DVD Copy v. 1.2

Matrix DVD PAL

This is the link to the comparison:

http://www.dvd.box.sk/articles8.php?stranka=1

Another less involved comparison:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3670_7-5024535-1.html?part=InterVideo&subj=editchoice&tag=button

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Sophocles,

I checked out the link. The only problem is the version of software they used to test. Recode is up to v2.0.0.18, DVD Shrink is up to 3.17 and so on. Isn't safe to assume in newer versions the quality may be improved?

But in the demonstration XCopy Express, DVD2ONE, Pinnacle and InterVideo all looked the same, with good comparision.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you want to know what changes were made in recode then go to Aheads website and check out their change log.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  4. 64026402

64026402 Active member

They were using an old shrink. The encoding engine was substantially improved at 3.14. My personal tests have shown none of the pixelation shown in the test on the site.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Very interesting Sophocles and surprising, although I still don't think I know. In all truth I couldn't tell a major difference between any. Maybe a little, but not enuff to make me run out and buy DVDCopy. I have dvd2one, which tied for second so it's not a total wash. But all in all a very interesting site. Thanx for the heads up. [​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Actually only DVd2one is current, the rest are all a bit behind but I've done a comparison between DVD2one and Shrink using an 8 gig movie and Shrink lost by a long shot. On smaller DVD's less than 6.5 gigs the difference is much less noticeable. Get a copy of DVD2one and compare it to Shrink. BTW I still use shrink I only started the thread to iron out the differences that seem to crop up over software.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes bigorange but it makes for a good exchange of ideas. There's a lot of really intelligent people that use this forum and we would have the power if we'd work together to find the truth. You've heard me say many times that I believe DVD2one is better than the others on type 9 DVDs, and then I tried DVDcopy 2 and it was better than DVD2one. Then of course it all got lost in discussions about pixelation. I never found the macro pixels that were reported by others but neither did I drop $80 on DVDcopy. If you haven't tried it then you can download it from Intervideo's website and have full use of it for 3 days.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I had noticed there were older versions, but the ever astute flip had pointed that out. I also still use shrink, albeit nothing like I did before I got Nero Ultra 6, which they cared little for either. I have always maintained dvd20ne is a great program. It really doesn't matter how many tests we have , there will always be differences never to be ironed out. But hey, that's what the forum's for , right? PS-I'll do that, I'm always open to something better. [​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I suppose the forum means something different to eveyone and no one is going to change the minds of othes because they believe their ideas are better, because everyone is right in their own minds.

10. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Although it will always be an ongoing debate. I look at like this ... It's always nice to have more than one way to back up. Also I view my backups on a 27" and 32" tv, and I can't tell the difference between backup and original ... The only thing I really care about is that by backups don't skip :)

But due to this little discussion, I'm now thinking about adding DVD2ONE.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Sophocles, speaking only for myself, I for one, am VERY appreciative of all your guys' help. I am relatively new to this game having only been in it about six months. When I first started I used only shrink and decrypter, I now have about 20-25 kinds of software as I realize there are people(particularly in this forum) who know a hell of a lot more than I do. So, any suggestions ya'll make I am more than willing to give a chance. It's only time (and sometimes a little bit o' money, tho most have a trial version) so you just keep those cards and letters comin'. I'll keep listening and offer advice when I can. From volunteer land, Thanx. PS- flip, get dvd2one, you'll like it, I think it will be the way to go on dual layer or 2 disc sets, and it works well with Nero. Oh yeah, I've got several good guides for it if you need it. [​IMG]

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

For large type 9 movies it does a good job. Hell I've had Nero recode sitting on my desktop for some time and I stopped using it after a couple of so so results. Since I purcahsed my new Plextor PX-712 I am able with Nero to burn an entire 6 gig movie from start to finish in under 30 minutes. There is little loss compressing smaller type 9 DVDs so Nero will be my first choice for those and DVD2one will take on the big boys.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I also just purchased the external Plextor PS708UF, again from advice you guys' supplied in another thread (which dvd burner to buy), and the verdict is "awesome". I'm going to try Intervideo dvdCopy tomorrow. Will let you know the outcome. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Good buy bigorange, I love my PX-712A to death. BTW it burns 4X verbatim at 8X and so far I've had no coasters. I can't wait to try to burn a 900 meg file on a standard CD-R.

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Very interesting thread thus far :) Here's a new app to throw into the mix, Maximum Copy, they talk a good game:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9845

I've not used it or DVD2One simply because I can't tell any difference between the different apps I use on my crap TV and rarely have access to a HDTV for testing purposes.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Good addition Nephilium, never heard of it but its claims are the same as those that Nero recode, and Intervideo's DVD copy makes. I'll have to downlaod the trial version and give it a try.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Just completed my download of Maximum copy I'll install it and check it for language support (its a German product and I will report back in a moment,

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Maximum Copy? Never heard of it. Let us know how it goes, although I have a 56" HDTV, according to the comparisons I can't see sh-- because I thought recode looked excellent. On second thought.... [​IMG]

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I just completed my downloaded and installed it. It's in German only so it might take me a bit to work out the contorls because of language differences.

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.