1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Transcoding Tools Produce The Best Picture Quality.

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Sophocles, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

found a trial version of cinema craft encoder and I downloaded and installed the latest version of DVD rebuilder. Having already 4 backs of LOR III, I thought I would choose another movie that is large and loaded with action scenes, Daredevil. I ripped the movie and then tried to open it and then I received a message "warning:This material contains multiple angles and or interleaving and is not supproted by this version of DVD-RB. Aborting. This was just my first try, any suggestions brian100?

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Since multi-angle support hasn't been added to DVD Rebuilder yet, the only way to do it is to remove everything except 1 angle. You could also start by making a movie only backup with DVD Shrink and then run that through Rebuilder.

3. swmiller

swmiller Guest

DVD_Rebuilder does not support multiple angles... at least not yet. Please remeber this is program is still in beta phase. Features will be added over time.
    I normally do movie only I don't for the most part care about the extras or previews to up coming releases.
    This site has an excellent guide you can find here
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

OK guys, got your point, I think that Daredevil was not the right movie for a first try so I ripped LOR Twin Towers in IFO mode and it seems to recognize that, I'll do the backup later when I'm not using my PC. Thanks for the quick response.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  5. vurbal

No problem.

6. frisk

frisk Member

I have just tested maximum copy.

It's not faster than shrink and the picture quality
    is similar.

@sophocles
    I have just installed the latest Version of Intervideo
    DVD Copy 2 Platinum, it' seems the pixelation, big white artefact bug is solved. I did two movies Pearl Harbor and Green mile. Both are excellent quality copies.

Regarding quality IV DVD copy is for sure the best program of the fast transcoding tools. The quality
    you get for a big 8GB movie in only 30min. is amazing.

I will do some other tests especially with the DVD's
    that failed with the 1st version of IVDVD I've downloaded.

If the bugs are really gone...we will have a real winner!!!

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Thanks for the report frisk, my 3 days has run out and now I have to keep a watch for reports from others like you. I'm still considering the purchase because I'm not sure I have enough patience to go with DVDrebuilder/CCE.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I think that for picture quality we can all agree that the DVDrebuilder/.CCE combo can’t be beat. I was unable to complete my trial with it because the CCE trial version had too many restrictions. I also was disappointed with rebuilders inability to work with camera angles and I’m not going to drop $58 for a program that I can only use on some movies.

I’ve spent a good deal of time reviewing the numerous backups I’ve made and I’ve come to a conclusion, DVDcopy 2 edges out instant copy for best picture with the added benefit that it’s almost 3 times faster. Instant copy comes in second for picture quality and edges out DVD2one, but DVD2one is faster. Nero recode falls a little behind DVD2one in picture quality but it is clearly the fastest of the lot. Shrink is free and you get what you pay for, however I pay a lot for media. Perhaps in time Shrink will improve but I’m going for quality.

9. vurbal

I certainly understand about wanting multi-angle support. Hopefully it will be added soon.

For anyone who wants to try out DVD Rebuilder without buying CCE first (kind of late to evaluate at that point isn't it?), I posted a thread with information that I'll probably add to the guide eventually. See this thread for details:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/88493
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Thanks for your concern Verbul. I haven't given up on it yet and I will one day add CCE to my arsenal. I just couldn't see myself dropping $58 withoug having taken it for a ride and there are other concerns regarding rebuilder. I gave it the top spot because there are many members with whom I have respect who say it's good and that's enough for me. For now DVDcopy is a more than reasonable second since I can't viusally tell the difference between the orignal and the DVDcopy backup.

11. vurbal

Sophocles, as I said, I understand your concerns. Personally I don't have any problems with removing angles, but it's a matter of personal preference and I respect that. Especially since your preferences for backups seems to be pretty similar to mine so I can hardly fault you for that. I was mostly posting the link because I've gotten some PMs that deal with the question of using a trial version and honestly it was something I wanted to cover in the guide but couldn't decide how until recently.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

When you finish your guide I'll look forward to reading it, I'm sure it will assist a lot of people. I'll be revisting Rebuilder and CCE again because I have the entire summer of and my inate curiosity won't let it rest.

13. vurbal

The guide's already done. You can either follow the link in my signature or just visit the Guides page. Now I have to update it again for the latest release and put the trial version information in.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Brian, didn't get the new lite on dual layer burner. It's up over 110.00, but have read about a dozen reviews and all are over the top with praise. It will be released June 1st and will retail for 159.00, a pretty good price if you ask me. So I'll still be your guinea pig(no need to pay for a slightly used one @ 100 plus if you can get a new one for 159.00). Have downloaded CCE basic and am getting ready to try it with DVD Rebuilder. I don't think it will let you do an entire movie. I have loaded several guides and will shout back later in the week, it definitely doesn't look like a one-click operation. So be prepared....

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Vurbal

I read you guide and I thought it was pretty good, I had no problems following it.

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Dang, I like this guide better than the others I got from Mushkin, think I'll try it. Good job. One question, am I to understand once you set up DVD Rebuilder you pretty much can leave it as is for ensuing projects?

17. colest

colest Member

Was checking out the latest forum news, and found this thread. Rather then worry about the transcoding, or recoding, if a movie is over a certain leagnth, i copy it to two discs, with no compression. The cost of discs is minimal anymore, and the quality stays just as the original. If the movie goes over 2 1/2 hrs, I put it on two discs using dycreptor, and shrink or dvd2one, then nero. Just did return of the king, and it came out wonderful on two discs, no quality loss at all. Changing discs is a small inconveniance to keeping the quality of the original.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Just call me fussy, butI like my movies on a single disc for the sake of continuity, and if that can be accomplished without any visual loss to quality then that's what I would prefer to do. In fact that's what I am doing, not to mention that I would also in time, save a small fortune. With my current collections that's about $400 dollars saved which could mean 2 PX-712A Plextor burners and a cake box of DVD media.

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Gotta agree, plus with a little fudging on the compression slider bar in Pinnacle InstantCopy, I was able to backup the entire "Along Came Polly" with previews, special features and all with only 15 percent compression. I defy anyone to tell the difference between that and the original.

20. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

If you take a look at the pics (of the software used) you can see that DVDShrink is actually 3.1.1 not 1.3 :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.