1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Transcoding Tools Produce The Best Picture Quality.

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Sophocles, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Michigan

Rip only the VTS_01_3 Vob by itself, its the one that's causing the problem. The rest you should be able to rip at full steam.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."[/small]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Well guys I'm going to be up late again while I watch the passing of yet another storm.

3. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Concerning the number of storms...I'm in a state of disbelief. And I don't even live there. I suspect there are those that are beginning to wonder if Florida is going to see a series of hurricanes like this from now on.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Doc

There's a ten year prediction of worsening storms, it this isn't evidence of the greenhouse effect then I don't know what is.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."[/small]

5. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I've been a believer in the greenhouse effect/global warming since around 1980. Aside from more turbulent weather, many glaciers that had thousands of years of ice pack are now melted. The signs are all around, and it's quite scary. The oceans are also warming, and it is thought that with just a few degrees rise there could be massive releases of frozen methane...which would accellerate the warming...not to mention upsetting ecological balances. The people who predict such things are scoffed at, just as they were when they said back in 1980 that in 20 years we were going to see the loss of a lot of glaciers. The last president we had that was concerned about gloabal warming, and actually put programs into place to deal with it, was Jimmy Carter. Oh well...it's Miller time.

We are also getting an inordinate amount of rain here in the PNW. It has been very dry over the last 3 years, so in some ways it is welcome, as we have a lot of hydropower that needs the water.

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Doc,Sophocles

I'm figuring you guys are Democrats. I don't get to much of this kind of talk around here. Most of the people I know are big time republicans.

I'm dismayed by the lack of caring from this segment of the population.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Donald

[​IMG][/small]

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Doc

Jimmy Carter was our last honest president and talking about the greenhouse effect wasn't popular because it costs too much money for the fix.

8. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Donald...yeah, probably best to keep politics and religion off the forum. But...

I always vote a split ticket, though, and have leaned Republican in the past. I'm probably more democrate now, but I don't identify with either party. I tend to look for those who are concerned about the things I believe are important for people's lives and the nation as a whole. In my 30+ years of voting, I've seen both parties get out of touch with the people. Right now there seems to be a lot of that.

9. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Soph...like the old car oil advertisment...you can pay me now, or you can pay me later. The thing is, the cost is going to be much greater later. And later is probably happening now.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Agreed, politics is far too divisive to discuss in a public forum such as this. It should be discussed in speakeasies.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I like to think of myself as an independent, I like John McCain and I'd vote for him and he's a Republican.

12. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I also like McCain. He's the closest thing we have to a statesman in this country right now.

On another note...I got another copy of War and Peace, and no problem with the rip.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'll give that one a try.

14. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

It's one of those movies that would be good to put on dual layer...or run through CCE 3 or 4 times.

I've been looking for a link that someone posted where there were some of the older movies that were released into the public domain, and they could be downloaded. Did anyone make a note of it?

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Couldn't resist that Greenhouse effect situation. Guess we need to kill off all those flatulent cows. ;)

Some of the best scientists can't really tell if it is truly a greenhouse effect or climatic shifts. Our Earth has undergone drastic climate changes over the eons. One only has to look back to the Roman Empire to see the drastic change in the African continent. Where there was beautiful gardens and lush vegetation, there is now only desert. That was one of the worst climate changes in recorded history. Much worse than changes we're currently seeing.

Then of course, there is the proof of the ice age. Before that was the time of the dinosaurs and the warm to tropical environment that was required for their survival. Now that must have been one heck of a climate change. Then of course the Ice Age ended and it got warm enough for life to thrive again. What a climate change again. Greenhouse effect or just a climate shift? Some of the best scientific minds are still pondering that one.

Getting back on track, maybe they'll make a movie and we can do a backup. Which transcoding software would be the best to use? ;)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2004
  17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

The greenhouse effect is based upon solid scientific evidence and is far more probable to be true than not. Core samples have been taken from both the Arctic and the Antarctica that verify atmospheric changes that have occurred over time. Yes the climate affects its own changes and has been for millions of years but what man is doing to it is something different. Instead of it happening naturally over time based on natural events we’re forcing it to happen in a geologically short period of time. The problem isn’t whether or not scientist can agree on its existence, it just that their points of view depends on who’s paying their salaries.

http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/global_warming.html

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/science/03/14/greenhouse.gases.02/

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/climateuncertainties.html

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html

http://www.greeningearthsociety.org/climate/

http://energy.usgs.gov/factsheets/cret.coals/cret.coals.html

http://www.envirolink.org/topics.html?topicsku=2002109190933&topic=Climate Change&topictype=topic

http://www.gcrio.org/gwcc/index.htm

http://elmhcx9.elmhurst.edu/~chm/onlcourse/chm110/issues/issue197.html

http://www.co2science.org/journal/2001/v4n12c1.htm

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Getting back on track, they wouldn't have to look far for the script.

19. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Both sides could be argued, that's for sure. As long as we have Nature around to give the rap to, though, we never have to take responsibility for our actions. And that's the real issue.

More to the point, if you believe climate changes are natural, you will be hired by the government.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Let me try this one.

Four hurricanes struck Florida in less than two months and all of them were major hurricanes. Coincidently that's also why I'm up still posting, I won't sleep until I know its final track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.