1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Transcoding Tools Produce The Best Picture Quality.

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Sophocles, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You do like jumping in head first and anything eles just wouldn't be brobear.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Yes, and you may have missed the gem in my little joke. It appears that today's cattle population does more to damage the environment than a lot of industry. People need to cut back on those Big Mac attacks so the cattle population won't be so high. We'd be better off environmentally as vegetarians. What to do about old Bossy. The SPCA would go nuts over wholesale slaughter.

I'm not saying there is no greenhouse effect. However, I am saying that there are some causes that people don't normally consider.

http://rucus.ru.ac.za/~wolfman/Essays/Cow.html

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_176.html

http://www.climateark.org/articles/2000/1st/cancomwi.htm

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/auspac/06/07/aust.greenhouse/

http://www.iht.com/articles/52870.html

http://www.cnsnews.com/ForeignBureaus/Archive/200306/FOR20030623a.html

http://www.lloyd-jones.net/J-zine/HotOrCold.htm

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Does this have anything to do with backing up "Home On The Range"?

4. brobear

brobear Guest

A lot of hurricanes in one season as proof of climate change or greenhouse effect (usually associated), maybe. Scientists researching weather patterns note they appear to be cyclic. A similar weather pattern was noticed back in the 50s and 60s of the past century. The greenhouse effect wasn't nearly as bad then.

5. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Here's the thing. Yes, all these sources of methane contribute to the greenhouse effect. The fact is, we need the greenhouse effect. What we don't need is to upset the balnace that Nature has achieved. To bring it closer to home, we can chow down to a fat, juicy steak and baked potato with gobbs of butter and sour cream once in a while...but if we did that every night, it would cause havor with our circulatory system, and we would have an early death. My take is that our actions are upsetting the equalibrium of Nature.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

The problem with the movie is that it may be a rerun or remake.

7. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Actually, I think these 4 hurricanes aren't coincidental...I think 4 butterflys got together in South Africa ... and decided to flap their wings to test the Chaos theory.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Actually its the cow flatulence along with the removal of forests for their pastures that are a significant contributor.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Doc
    Overall, man's existence has been in opposition to nature from the beginning. Man has always tried to utilize what was available for his benefit from the earliest times. Just more people today speeding up the process. And more cattle and farming processes along with industry to make the situation what it is.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2004
  10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Well guys I'm off for a nap, I know when I return tomorrow I'll have lots to read.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."[/small]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  11. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    Probably not. I don't really see much disagreement. I was only bringing in the far side that people don't usually pay attention to. Have a good rest and I hope the hurricanes stay out of your neighborhood.

BTW, stay out of the pastures, the gas will get you. ;)

[​IMG]

12. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Brobear...that is certainly the truth. I haven't watched The Matrix in a while, but one line that has stayed with me was when the guy in dark glasses compared human being to a virus ... "...they will continue to consume until there is nothing left to consume."

13. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

best of luck, Soph. BTW, that was the link I was looking for...for the old movies. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  14. brobear

brobear Guest

Doc
    We really weren't in a disagreement, we were merely presenting different aspects of the same situation.

[​IMG]

15. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

brobear...it was fun. I also appreciated your links. I did read them, and they were humorous. Anyway, I think it is OK to disagree (as long as it is done respectfully). If you really think about it, disagreement is how issues get raised, and how problems get recognized, and how we move forward. Without disagreement, we would be lost. However, if your wife disagrees with you, that is a different matter. That is usually called an argument because the wife simply refuses to look at the facts.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Doc,
    I'm smart enough to allow the wife to win all discussions when she has her mind set to it. Soph would never believe I would give up quietly, so let's not tell him. ;) LOL

17. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Well brobear...it looks like you know how to think with both heads.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Not as much good reading as I'd hoped. I was able to sleep the night the hurricane is just getting ready to strike. The eye is just getting ready to go over me and I'll know at about 1PM how badly I'll be hit. The good side of this is that since this in number 4, all the powerlines have been recently repaired.

19. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I noted the satellite doesn't look to good for you.
    You didn't sleep all that long either. I guess it's hard to do in a hurricane.

I figured the political hurricane might take you mind off things but no such luck.
    This would be a bad place for that kind of stuff anyway. I might check into the anything goes sections.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The eye is just about ready to begin passing over me, it's still a hurricane but I'm hopping it will downgrade to a tropical storm. This is getting tiresome and I'll be gald to see cool weather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.