1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which type of computer chip

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by urmymom, Sep 28, 2007.

1. urmymom

urmymom Member

i am in the market for a new computer. i have a pentium 4 and i have always believed in pentium. there are so many new chips out there dual core, amd anthlon, etc.

what is the recommend now a days?

jackie

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Whats your budget? If you just want to buy a cpu, you need to know what your mobo can support. What socket is it?

The best cpu out there is the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850, which costs about $1000 USD. There are other good ones, like the duel cores, which go for around $200

3. urmymom

urmymom Member

Whats your budget? If you just want to buy a cpu, you need to know what your mobo can support. What socket is it?

what is a mobo?????

The best cpu out there is the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850, which costs about $1000 USD. There are other good ones, like the duel cores, which go for around $200

i was looking at a dell intel pentium dual core processor

i was always told to stay away from centrino and stick with pentium

now i see.....

pentium dual-core
    amd anthlon 64 x2 dual core
    intel core 2 duo processor

the computer will be used for medical transcription, sending and receiving files over the internet and playing music, etc.

the computer i am looking at seems to be a good deal.

dell 530
    pentium dual core processor
    1gb memory
    160gigi hard drive

dont know what else is in there.

thanks for any advice

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

hmm, pentium duel cores are ok, but core 2 duos are better and newer. If that dell pc you suggested has vista on it, I strongly recommend you get one with another gig of ram. 2 gigs will make it run A LOT faster.

Btw, out of the pentium duel cores, the Athlon 64x2 and the core 2 duos, the core 2 duos are the best. Oh, and a mobo is just short for a motherboard.

5. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

I bought the same Dell those pentium dual core processor's (e2140,e2160 and e2180)are based on core 2 architecture but with only 1 MB of cache and the Inspiron 530 can be upgraded to the E6850 core2duo which is what i did with my Vostro 200.