1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which video card should I get?? And ATI or gForce?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bmxer4lyf, Mar 5, 2005.

1. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

Hey, just wondering what video card you guys could reccomend to me as I would be using it mainly for gaming. And either a Nvidia GeForce or ATI Radeon...

The games I play and would like to play flawlessly with the card are:
    [bold]Counter-Strike
    Day of Defeat
    Half-Life 2
    Doom 3
    Halo, ect.[/bold]
    Right now I am just using an on-board card (S3 ProSavageDDR)and cannot play any of these... :(

So if you could please reccomend a nice card, and if it could be under $250 CAN, that would be better as I am on budget. Thanks alot for your help in advance!

2. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

P.S- in my signature it says: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro...but I fried it lol (OCed to much without proper cooling...stupid me...) but sorry about that.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i was just about to ask you about that as i noticed in your sig you had a video installed. if had no problems with ati than get another 1 that will fit in your board. but don't get a pci/e card if your motherboard doesn't have a pci/e slot as is different from regular pci slot, like apples & oranges. & don't oc the card without proper cooling as you might not get as lucky next time as it could take out other things next time

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My mate has a 6800GT card, along with a 10,000rpm WD hard drive & a 2600 Athlon, Half life & Doom3 are simply awesome. The textures with the vertex shading are beautiful. As previously stated it is "apples & oranges".
    I do not know how the new Radeons cope in heavy action. I suspect they will do the job in a very capable manner. AGP I would say, was recommended.
    Hope this was of some help.
    Kind regards,
    Pulsar

5. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

i looked at the 6800GT card but that is way past my budget...lol. Would you reccomend the GeforceFX 5200??
    I seen it on some site for like $50 US...but im geussing it wont play those games flawlessly?? seeing as the price is very low...(usually the higher price the better)

Thanks in advance

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get a 256 meg card that works in your motherboard videoslot whether agp or pci, than go from there

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I have an FX5200 in my second PC. It is not the best in the world, and by no means the worst. You will be moderately happy with the results! No more, no less! I would try & get a GeForce Ti4200. They are old, but they can truly kick serious ass!! If not that, then try an FX5600 256RAM. I have one of these, it is OK, it plays Far Cry reasonably. Again, prepare to be underwhelmed!
    You definitely get what you pay for, especially with graphics cards. I would recommend that you get a cheapy, i.e FX5200, then work your ass off & save for a 6800.

Pulsar

8. amr12391

amr12391 Guest

don't listen to anybody else....get a geforce 2..not a geforce 4...i bought that and had lots of problems..geforce 2 for me is working great...your graphic settings can be very high...plus ATI users i heard had problems 2. my XFIRE sn is amr12391..add me to ur list if u can>>>>SEE YA LATER!!