1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which way is better to rip and shrink???

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Sawdust11, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Sawdust11

Sawdust11 Member

Hi all, just like to get some input on which way is better for backing up my orginal movies. I have use dvd decrypter and then shrink and I used just shrink. Now if u use just shrink it creates the vob files for the whole movie but what about if u use shrink and have it make a iso file and then burn with dvd decrypter under the burn settings. It just makes on iso file instead of all those vob files. I guess it does the same thing, was just curious if one seemed better. I have anydvd up to date and running in back ground as I'm doing this.

2. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

dvd decryptor and shrink seem to be favourite.

I do wish you guys would do a search before posting a question. This has been covered SO MANY times.

:eek:)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

If you have anydvd, start with shrink and burn with decrypter. No need to use decrypter then shrink then decrypter again if anydvd is working.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

here here taz, but at least this guy has obviously done some homework first unlike most of them :)

Rich

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  5. Sawdust11

Sawdust11 Member

Hey thanks creaky, I've burned differant ways, I was just trying to get a feel for what ppl like, I know its been covered as in how do u do this and that, I just like to get input.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The most common reason Decrypter was used first was in the few cases that Shrink couldn't decrypt a dvd. With the new encryptions now out, Shrink has more problems than before. Running Anydvd with Shrink corrects the problem with the new encryptions so you can start with Shrink as most members did before. You shouldn't need Decrypter except for the burn engine.

Jerry

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

anydvd is not THE fix to all these problems, hey it may be if they update it often enough :) but so far not everyone has had 100% success with it, myself included. But dloading the 21day trial, trying it, then if no good trying other suggested fixes (many varieties of fixes suggested/tried so far) would be good

Rich

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Anydvd is one of the best decrypters out there. It is also updated faster than all the other decrypters. It has been updated in some cases days before the actual encryption is being used on dvds. If you are having problems with it I suggest a new download and install.

Jerry

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I agree with Jerry on this one AnyDVD has always been faster at updating then anyone else including Decrypter. Don't get me wrong Decrypter is a great proggy and I use it a lot, but Lightning_UK has to wait for a number of people to have problems with a certain movie and then he relies on them to send him ther log files, .vob's, ect until he can update or provide a fix.

10. Andoru

Andoru Member

I like:

shrink + anydvd (new one)
    shrink + dvdidle pro
    shrink standalone

nero recode 2 ( i need some1 exp.) cuz i think its too slow..

how is this combo? nero recode 2 + anydvd(does n e 1 know)

everytime i use nr2 for some reason it seems that it takes longer to do things than shrink does...

oh, btw i usually use shrink to go straight to the iso instead of creating hd folder (works great)

comments ne1?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  11. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

you asked for a "better" way to backup your movies.....

DVD Rebuilder w/ CCE is hands down the best way to go for best quality backup. Its not super intuitive to use, but its not that hard either (all you need is on this site). it does take time to rebuild a movie, but time for quality is a trade most will make for a dvd they want to keep. CCE is not free, but its worth the $58 to me - give the trial a whirl and see for yourself.

After that, Intervideo's DVD Copy 3 is a very nice program too - faster than all the rest for sure. again not free, but good stuff is rarely free (ie- AnyDVD).

12. wild77

wild77 Guest

DVD Decrypter to rip always

For movies with little or no compression
    DVD Shrink or Recode2

For the best Quality
    DVD Rebuilder
    CinemaCraft Encoder Basic
    Nero to burn

13. jd-

jd- Member

i gotta go with sox... about 2 hours extra of encoding worth per movie which can be queued up and done overnight...definitely worth it, especially when you start compressing over 20%

14. Andoru

Andoru Member

DVD Rebuilder w/ CCE huh?
    sounds interesting, i may give that a whirl...
    so many progs out.