1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whisch is better modchip or swap magic?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by phuc, Jan 11, 2005.

1. phuc

phuc Guest

i was wondering about buying the dms3 mod chip then i read this thred about modchip people say they burn out the ps2 laser fast and please tell me how do you put a mod chip in yur ps2 have you ever did it? please help.

2. wargamer

wargamer Guest

Yeah mate, go with Swap Magic. Having a chip installed in your machine can f&*k it up sooner or later!. Trust the SM is the way to go, so what you have to change the discs. But hey it Works! it boots most game backups!. It's much better to keep your machine for longer and in good order than havin to get another one.

I have SM 3.0 with slide tool, I don't have any complaints about how it works, it works great for me!.

3. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Wargamer make a very good point go with the Swap Magic, i have it 2 and have not had any major problems its well worth it.

4. phuc

phuc Guest

i heard swap magic 2.0 and 3.3 burn out your ps2 laser it that true ? please help

5. A.Beast

A.Beast Guest

I have SM3.3, been using it for about a month, it works perfectly for me. Swapping discs isn't a big deal(with the slim ps2 at least) especially cause normally when you sit down to play a game it's not for a very short period.

I suggest SM.

6. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

there's no such thing as swap disc burns out your laser, i cannot believe you guys believe that crap.
    Here is a fact, by using mod chip, u cannot play your back up online. But with swap disc, you can. Second, u will risk losing your warranty if you install a mod chip. Third swap disc is easy and cheap, y not use them.

7. wargamer

wargamer Guest

A.Beast, have u got the new Slimline version?. Is that newer PS2 harder to use SM on?, cause I've been hearing that the latest PS2's are booby trapped with some new protection and frickin $ony have done that to stop people from using SM on them.

And no way does SM burn yer laser out!. The Matrix infinity mod chip does though.

8. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Actually, the rumors go that the first batch of PSTwos came with shoddy lasers. Another rumor goes that they fixed this problem afterwards. The next few rumors say that certain modchips burn out your laser, but there are also a few fixes for those modchips.

The "booby-traps" you talk of stems from people's PS2s not working after they glued down the sensors (glue ruined their boards?).

However, these are all mostly rumors, seeing as Sony has said absolutely nothing on the matter (that I know of, I'd to be corrected, I'd like to know if they did)

The only thing that people can truly confirm here involving the PSTwos is :
    1.) People have been getting success with the
    straw/tissue mod (check the official swap magic site for that), and it's confirmed here at the boards. I haven't seen anyone say that this mod stops them from playing. The only thing that I've heard is that it's a pain in the ass to do.
    2.) SM 3.3 is SUPPOSED to be fully compatible with the new slimlines. Just as compatible as it is with everything else.
    3.) SM 3.3 is supposed to have good compatibility, but it's not perfect. However, if you're a cheap-o like I am, it's probably what you'll want over a modchip, and it's a lot less likely to destroy your system.

9. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

i'd go for the chip. i have the swap magic (and a neo2.2 chip) and it's a pain in the ass.
    as for installation, i had someone else do it for me.

10. A.Beast

A.Beast Guest

wargamer,

Ya I have the slim version, and in my opinion, it is easier to use with the SM3.3 discs, cause you don't have to do any of the slidecard stuff (it seems difficult to me, never tried though) and there are a bunch of different methods to block the sensors or "boobytraps".

I was actually suprised at how easy it was to get my backups going.

11. yudda111

yudda111 Guest

i was going to buy the matrix infinity but i change for sm3.3 because alot of people had laser burnout,i said 70%of a chance that you get laser burnout on the slim pstwo because i think they put a cheaper laser in that console compair the old version.go for swap magic and do he tape mod or slim tools to play back up.

12. wargamer

wargamer Guest

What does the DiscId utility do?.

13. A.Beast

A.Beast Guest

From the DISCIDUTIL.nfo

I think it has something to do with making backups playable online, I could be totally wrong, but I'm sure someone will kick my ass and give the proper explanation if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2005
  14. 4wheel

4wheel Member

Does renting a game and copying it bad?? Will it get me in trouble?? ??/ ??? I really neeed to ooo know

15. wargamer

wargamer Guest

Don't fret about it, although it's classed as very illegal. Who the hell's gonna know you doing it?, unless you boast about it which would nict be wise!.

16. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

Several lower courts have ruled copying dvd you own (either permanently or temporary like renting games) is illegal. However, the supreme court hasn't ruled the case yet so it is still legal for any of us to make copies of dvd games or whatever.
    And i have read several threads saying that DVD Disc ID utility cannot be run on the new slim PS2.

17. atlnicca

atlnicca Regular member

im getting tired of people saying this, you can too play your backs ups online with a modchip, with the exception of socom 2. and ive had my modchip for 6 monthes now, and no laser problems.

18. hursty

hursty Active member

PHUC!!!!!!
    your alive
    people around here thought were dead!!