1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

white inkjet media won't play on laptops but silver does fine

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by wensteph, Apr 25, 2005.

1. wensteph

wensteph Member

I have been backing up quite a few disks and sending them to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan through anysoldier.com (I highly recommend it) I always use branded Ritek or TY's and I recently went from silver with the name written in Sharpie to white inkjet printable printed with and Epson 200. I increased the burn speed on the TY's to 6x from the usual 4x. I recieved an e-mail from a CPT this morning and he said the white disks would play fine in DVD playes but would not play on some of his guys laptops. I periodically test using my crankiest portable, but I thought compatibility wasn't an issue with laptops. I suspect burn speed rather than the printable surface.

Any comments?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Compatability can be an issue on anything you play those backups in.Every burner is different just like every stand alone,pc drive,and ps2.I can even tell the difference between which burner I used on certain backups by the "no disc inserted" errors on certain players/dvd-rom drives even using ty media.

Burn speed is always a factor,since I play my backups in about 25-30 different dvd-drives.That list keeps getting bigger as some of my friends pass my backups around to many other of their friends. I keep it at 2.4x and 4x max using quality media.

Backup target can be a problem,that's why I keep it at 4360 mbs.

Media quality can fluctuate when switching to different media,ala silver tops to printables.

I don't know which format and burner model you use.My benq's are using the plus format,and book-typing them to dvd-rom with excellent compatability. My dash backups do have a few more problems in the same stand alones.Lite-on also has the bit-setting capability as well as some other models,but not all of them.I only found 1 ps2 that wouldn't play either format from my benq's.

I have had compatability issues with my other 2 burners and stand alone home recorder with the "no disc inserted" errors,so I know burner quality can also be a factor.That second benq took care of that issue,a new dvd player took care of my home recorder's backups.

Can you list the manufacturer codes from those silver and white inkjet printable media? Nero/dvd decrypter/dvdidentifier/and dvdinfopro will tell us those codes.

3. wensteph

wensteph Member

saugmon,

Thanks for the reply. I was mistaken that I had sent him some Ritek's, they were all -R TY's. The silver were TYG01 or TYG02 and the inkjet printable were TYG02. Burner is a Plextor PX716-SA. I had sent him silver burned at 4x and if memory serves I didn't try to up the speed to 6x until using the white printable. The ones I sent him were not printed, but titled with a Sharpie.

I'm shooting in the dark on exactly what the problem might me. His comment was BTW, you sent silver and white disks and a number of the guys say the white ones won't play in their laptops, but will play in the DVD players. I don't know the type of laptop. I don't know if they are getting a load error or a locked up image. These guys have a lot more on their plate than to get into a detailed exchange with me over exactly what the problem is. Yesterday I sent him a silver disk burned at 4x and a white printed disk burned at 4x and a white printed burned at 6x. I asked him to give them to one of the guys that had the problem and identify which plays and which doesn't. There is another batch of white G02's with printed labels that went out to another unit, but they have not been delivered yet. I've e-mailed the recipient about the potential problem and he'll report back.

I won’t hear back from either for several weeks.

I’m hopeful it turns out the problem is limited to those burned at 6x. It’s an easy matter for me to just burn at a slower speed.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Slower is better,especially when those backups are played in a boatload of stand alones and pc drives.Fewer errors.
    That's some very good media and a quality burner you have.It's hard to satisfy every player,but with that combo of burner and media,You'll have a higher compatability rate.

Going from 6x to 4x isn't going to take much longer. A few members have to burn at 1x just to get their stand alone to play them.
    Good Luck and keep our soldiers entertained!!!!!!.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't want to cut in wensteph as saugmon is providing excellent info as always. Just wanted to add one thing, since your plextor is capable of bitsetting and dvd-rom is the most compatable format, it might be worth trying some good quality [TY's or Verbatum datalifeplus's (AZO dye)] dvd+r's booktyped dvd-rom. As stated by saugmon to also increase compatability keep burn speeds to 4x or under. Keep up the good work.

Mort

6. wensteph

wensteph Member

Mort,

Is the purpose of using +R's and changing the booktype to -ROM to get increased compatibility with a -ROM read emulation or does the increased compatibility come with the +R's slower possible burn speed?

I was unfamiliar with this and did a search. I see where I can change booktype in Decrypter in ISO mode, but since on DVD 9's I use RB/CCE and I haven't yet figured if I can get an ISO file with that. I found a thread on setting booktype in Nero, which I normally use, but it is under an Extra tab in the toolkit. Is that where it is changed? I'm off to pick up a +R disk to try it out. This was a tough search since most results turned out to be the word booktyped in your signature.

I had to laugh in that just after I read your post the UPS guy dropped off another 200 -R's.

7. rcover

rcover Member

Hello all, Has anyone ever thought that maybe these laptops won't play both - or +. and I didn't think burn speed had anything to do with if they are going to work or not only thing is to worry about if its a good burn no matter what speed.

8. wensteph

wensteph Member

Update: I found where I set Nero to booktype to DVD-ROM. It's under Options alongside the drive identifiers. I was looking under Configure. I also found a thread giving compatibility percentages and I think I'm most comfortable with returning the -R's to meritline in exchange for +R's and I will change the booktype. Since my burner supports it the smart decision is to take advantage of it. Excellent suggestion.

rcover,

You may very well be right, but I'm assuming from the correspondence that they must have gotten my previous shipments to play OK. The only thing you do have to worry about is a bad burn, but it's much easier to get a bad burn at higher speeds; even speeds that one may not consider high. Slower is always better. I tried to push it when I really did know better.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

wensteph,

Glad to see you figured out the booktype utility for your burner. I don't have a plextor (good drive by the way) but was pretty sure there was a setting for booktype with plextools.

Dvd-rom is the same format that new pressed dvd's are so will be most likely to play in more players, set tops, laptops, dvdrw's, and dvdroms etc.

Sorry to hear about your delivery (kinda funny though considering the timing).

Both saugmon and I really like the verbatum datalifeplus dvd+r hub printables media code MCC003. They cost a little more but not really when you consider coaster percentages at 0. We both also booktype all our backups dvd-rom (hope I'm speaking accurately on saugmons behalf, pretty sure I am and he'll let me know if I'm not;)). Good luck and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

BTW you might start with a small quantity of dvd+r's or maybe even some dvd+rw's to make sure your booktype utility is set up right and compatable.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

rcover,

Burn speed does make a difference. Not only does burning slow lesson the chance of write errors which cause playback issues such as freezing and pixelation, but it also increases compatability. I've made burns at 4x and 12x of the same vidio file on the same media (Ritek Ridata) both booktyped dvd-rom. The one burned at 12x was not recognized by all my set top players while the one at 4x was. I scan my burns with kprobe and the PI and PIF errors were less on the backup burned at 4x.

Mort

11. rcover

rcover Member

OK Mort TY. I use DVDDecrpter, then DVDShrink and then let Decrpter burn it. I have real good luck. I have a Micro Advantage which is a new drive that will also do d/l. I don't hear of to many of these being used, But I don't have any prob and I burn slow because I'm in no hurry not going anywhere. LOL Well Happy Burning talk to you all later.

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You're welcome no prob. Good luck and happy burning. Feel free to join in. We're all here to help and learn.

13. wensteph

wensteph Member

To close out this thread, I heard back from the guy reporting the problem. The 4x played fine on his laptops, the 6x did not. Silver top or inkjet printed did not make a difference. The problem was burn speed.