1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who has the link for the list of media and it's rank by performance?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by hrdbawl, Jun 13, 2004.

1. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

I know there is one on Afterdawn.com that is of opinion, I even went there before. Sorry, I looked for at least 30 minutes and I can't find it. Help!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

4. hrdbawl

hrdbawl Member

Right on roeod4! This is an excellent page for learning more about media. I read that whole page and learned a few things. It is better than what I was looking for actually. I still don't know why one would use +R vs. -R though. It seems to me with the success rate of -R's being that much better that it makes NO sense to even buy +R's. There has to be some legitimate reason though. I would like to know if someone out there knows.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Apologies to hrdbawl and thanks to roeod4 for supplying the link I intended :)

6. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

I'm glad that helped you out.

I think (notice that I said think, no real facts involved here, all just opinion and paranoid delusion) that the main reason people use DVD+R is because that is what their burner will take. If you look at most of the computers coming out now from people like Compaq, HP, Dell, and Gateway they all have DVD+R/RW drives in them. There are not too many manufacturers offering a computer at place like Circuit City or Best Buy that have dual format drives. I think the only ones I have seen are from Sony and Emachines. A friend of mine has a burner that will only take DVD+RW. I have heard people say that DVD+R will work for them and that DVD-R will not work right at all in their multi-format burner. I have also read posts that say DVD+R burns faster for them. Then there is the compatibility issue, many set-top players (the older ones) that will only take one format or the other. Personally I think it is cheaper and easier in the long run to just replace that old out-dated piece of junk, but that is just me.

When I first started looking at DVD Burners I saw a ton of info out there on the web that stated DVD+R was the right media for movies and DVD-R was only good for data. I also read in several places that most set-top DVD players would not take DVD-R. So many people may start out with DVD+R just because of misinformation

As you know, there was a tremendous amount of debate over a standard of some sort and different manufacturers wanted to use different standards, so we (the consumer) ended up with two standards. One through one group of companies and another through a different group of companies Now maybe one day everyone will say THIS is the one we want. We like this format and want everything to go this way. Then all the manufacturers can pick the other one. For the most part I think its like a Beta VS. VHS type of thing. Once we all get our movies backed up and everyone is happy, someone will come along and state that THIS is the new standard. Just so we have to spend more money (again) to get the next big thing. Just like some people here are talking about with dual layered burners and discs. People are so willing to shell out their money and get something different, just because it is new. Companies know this and love it. So they introduce something new and everyone goes right for it, then 6 months later that 2x speed drive you have is made available in a 4x or 8x. If you want to keep up with the technology you have to go buy the new one.

From what I have seen and been told they are working on a new format right now that would make all DVDs the size of game cube (or is it x-box, whichever is the small one, I have neither) games. That will either mean we have to all switch formats again, or it may go the way of the Laserdiscs and Beta tapes.
    Who knows?!?!?

Sorry about the rant there!

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Roeod. Beta really was better quality. :) The movies recorded off of tv with my 18 year old Super Beta still look better than the movies recorded with my 3 year old VHS VCR. ROFLMAO It is true!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Bruce Wallace
    Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

3.06 Ghz Intel P4 CPU
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    1Gig Corsair 3200 LLPro DDR Ram
    Plextor PX 708A DVD Burner
    Sony CRX320E DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x24x52 Combo
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Video Card
    Audigy2 Platinum[/small]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  8. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

I would never argue that point. I think beta was much much better, it is too bad that it did not catch on like VHS did. My point was that every time something new comes out, even if it is better, there are problems. Either everyone is already locked into one format or the quality of the new format does not warrant the change. Companies like to bring out the "new and improved" after everyone spends tons of money. I have about 8 or 9 hundred VHS tapes (a bunch of Beta too) that are stored in boxes now. When DVD came out the quality was so much better that I had to make the change. If something like VCD or Divx had tried to take the place of my VHS tapes I would have said forget it. I really liked beta. I still have 2 Beta players and one camcorder set up for Beta, they are all excellent dust collectors now. My dust collector collection is HUGE! LOL.

p.s. Bruce, thank you for serving your country. It is an honor to meet you man, I mean that.