1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who makes Magic Spin DVD+-RW Drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by sfriedman, Jan 4, 2004.

1. sfriedman

sfriedman Guest

I recently purchased a Magic Spin 8X DVD +-RW drive from Office Max. It was listed as an I/O Magic one and the tech support line takes you to their site, but I can find no other support information about it or where to download any firmware updates. It comes up on my system info as Generic DVD RW 8x Max.

2. tnt11

tnt11 Member

I have never heard of Magic Spin but the 8x I/O Magic DVD writer is a rebadged Optorite DD0401 to my understanding.

3. sfriedman

sfriedman Guest

What does it show up as? Mine comes up Generic DVD RW 8x max

4. zico

zico Member

I purchased the same drive from OfficeMax expecting to find the the Optorite drive inside, but mine is the BTC DRW 1008IM (also same as Creative's new 8X drive - I can't remember how it's describe in XP-at work now). It had the 052 frimware and I was able to update to 054 firmware from BTC web site. I haven't had a chance to use it much yet but for $79 out the door (manager wasn't sure if rebate would work so he rang it up at $79!) I figure it can't be too bad.

5. sfriedman

sfriedman Guest

What does your drive show up as under hardware? BTW they also couldn't find the rebate info so they gave me the full mail in and instant rebates up-front.

6. zico

zico Member

Home now...shows up as DCDRW IDE1008. I don't remember if it was different before I updated the firmware.

7. Pagehim

Pagehim Member

i bought the same drive and having a problem burning using -r disc. my -rw and +rw work okay. can someone recommend a brand that works.

8. lprophet

lprophet Guest

I was thinking of buying a Magic Spin drive , but after reading these threads , I think I'll spend a little more , and try a better brand.