1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whole house surge protectors?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by max777, Feb 3, 2007.

  1. max777

    max777 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2003
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    My parents want to get this whole house surge protector that installs at the main switch box. I'm wondering if these are worth it?

    I heard surge protectors really don't protect you against much, and certainly not a direct lightening strike. I also heard that surge protectors wear out over time and (for power strips anyway) that they turn into a normal power strip without any surge protection in a couple years. I'm wondering how long they last and what kind of maintenance is required? Also, what do you look for in a surge protector -- joule rating? Any info I could pass on to them would be great. Thanks
     
  2. AfterDawn

    AfterDawn Advertisement

  3. ireland

    ireland Active member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2002
    Messages:
    3,269
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    68
    THIS IS BETTER...

    How Ground Fault Protection Works
    http://www.doityourself.com/stry/gfci


    How Ground Fault Protection Works

    A "GFCI" is a ground fault circuit interrupter. A ground fault circuit interrupter is an inexpensive electrical device that, if installed in household branch circuits, could prevent over two-thirds of the approximately 300 electrocutions still occurring each year in and around the home. Installation of the device could also prevent thousands of burn and electric shock injuries each year.

    The GFCI is designed to protect people from severe or fatal electric shocks. Because a GFCI detects ground faults, it can also prevent some electrical fires and reduce the severity of others by interrupting the flow of electric current.

    The Problem

    Have you ever experienced an electric shock? If you did, the shock probably happened because your hand or some other part of your body contacted a source of electrical current and your body provided a path for the electrical current to go to the ground, so that you received a shock.

    An unintentional electric path between a source of current and a grounded surface is referred to as a "ground-fault." Ground faults occur when current is leaking somewhere, in effect, electricity is escaping to the ground. How it leaks is very important. If your body provides a path to the ground for this leakage, you could electrocuted.

    Some examples of accidents that underscore this hazard include the following:

    * Two children, ages five and six, were electrocuted in Texas when a plugged-in hair dryer fell into the tub in which they were bathing.
    * A three-year-old Kansas girl was electrocuted when she touched a faulty countertop.

    These two electrocutions occurred because the electrical current escaping from the appliance traveled through the victim to ground (in these cases, the grounded plumbing fixtures). Had a GFCI been installed, these deaths would probably have been prevented because a GFCI would have sensed the current flowing to ground and would have switched off the power before the electrocution occurred.

    How the GFCI Works

    In the home's wiring system, the GFCI constantly monitors electricity flowing in a circuit, to sense any loss of current. If the current flowing through the circuit differs by a small amount from that returning, the GFCI quickly switches off power to that circuit. The GFCI interrupts power faster than a blink of an eye to prevent a lethal dose of electricity. You may receive a painful shock, but you should not be electrocuted or receive a serious shock injury.

    Here's how it may work in your house. Suppose a bare wire inside an appliance touches the metal case. The case is then charged with electricity. If you touch the appliance with one hand while the other hand is touching a grounded metal object, like a water faucet, you will receive a shock. If the appliance is plugged into an outlet protected by a GFCI, the power will be shut off before a fatal shock would occur.

    Availability of GFCIs

    Three common types of ground fault circuit interrupters are available for home use:

    * Receptacle Type: This type of GFCI is used in place of the standard duplex receptacle found throughout the house It fits into the standard outlet box and protects you against "ground faults" whenever an electrical product is plugged into the outlet. Most receptacle-type GFCls can be installed so that they also protect other electrical outlets further "down stream" in the branch circuit.
    * Circuit Breaker Type: In homes equipped with circuit breakers rather than fuses, a circuit breaker GFCI may be installed in a panel box to give protection to selected circuits The circuit breaker GFCI serves a dual purpose - not only will it shut off electricity in the event of a "ground-fault," but it will also trip when a short circuit or an overload occurs Protection covers the wiring and each outlet, lighting fixture, heater, etc. served by the branch circuit protected by the GFCI in the panel box.

    * Portable Type: Where permanent GFCls are not practical, portable GFCls may be used One type contains the GFCI circuitry in a plastic enclosure with plug blades in the back and receptacle slots in the f rant. It can be plugged into a receptacle, then, the electrical product is plugged into the GFCI. Another type of portable GFCI is an extension cord combined with a GFCI. It adds flexibility in using receptacles that are not protected by GFCls.

    Where GFCIs Should Be Considered

    In homes built to comply with the National Electrical Code (the Code), GFCI protection is required for most outdoor receptacles (since 1973), bathroom receptacle circuits (since 1975), garage wall outlets (since 1978), kitchen receptacles (since 1987), and all receptacles in crawl spaces and unfinished basements (since 1990).

    Owners of homes that do not have GFCls installed in all those critical areas specified in the latest version of the Code should consider having them installed. For broad protection, GFCI circuit breakers may be added in many panels of older homes to replace ordinary circuit breaker. For homes protected by fuses, you are limited to receptacle or portable-type GFCIs and these may be installed in areas of greatest exposure, such as the bathroom, kitchen, basement, garage, and outdoor circuits.

    A GFCI should be used whenever operating electrically powered garden equipment (mower, hedge trimmer, edger, etc.). Consumers can obtain similar protection by using GFCIs with electric tools (drills, saws, sanders, etc.) for do-it-yourself work in and around the house.

    Installing GFCIs

    Circuit breaker and receptacle-type GFCIs may be installed in your home by a qualified electrician. Receptacle-type GFCIs may be installed by knowledgeable consumers familiar with electrical wiring practices who also follow the instructions accompanying the device. When in doubt about the proper procedure, contact a qualified electrician. Do not attempt to install it yourself.

    The portable GFCI requires no special knowledge or equipment to install.

    Testing the GFCIs

    All GFCIs should be tested once a month to make sure they are working properly and are protecting you from fatal shock. GFCIs should be tested after installation to make sure they are working properly and protecting the circuit.

    To test the receptacle GFCI, first plug a night light or lamp into the outlet. The light should be on Then, press the "TEST" button on the GFCI. The GFCI's "RESET" button should pop out, and the light should go out.

    If the "RESET" button pops out but the light does not go out, the GFCI has been improperly wired. Contact an electrician to correct the wiring errors.

    If the "RESET" button does not pop out, the GFCI is defective and should be replaced.

    If the GFCI is functioning properly, and the lamp goes out, press the "RESET" button to restore power to the outlet.
     
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  4. max777

    max777 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2003
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    We have these installed in outlets already... so surge protection is worthless?
     
  5. ireland

    ireland Active member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2002
    Messages:
    3,269
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    68
    I DO HAVE surge protectors ON MY MAJOR APPLIANCE'S AND COMPUTERS
    i do have a whole house ground fault installed..
     
  6. jermda1va

    jermda1va Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2007
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    11
    If you buy these devices do not put the coax cable through them. Most of them have it where theres an in and out. It blocks certain frequencies and if put on the internet cable line it will cause possible packet loss or lost sync on your modem.

    Personally, i have four plasmas and being grounded (co-bounded to power) outside where my niu(phone box) is, is the safest thing possible. If you get a direct hit on your house, regardless of how many surge protectors you have in your house, its going to take out any and everything.
     
  7. ddp

    ddp Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2004
    Messages:
    37,801
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    118
    that you need a spike protector, maybe.
     

Share This Page