1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whoops... bricked 2.71

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by kbeefy, May 3, 2007.

1. kbeefy

kbeefy Member

ok, after searching and lurking for a week on various forums trying to sort all this stuff out I decided to try and downgrade my 2.71, non -082 mb PSP.
    I followed the tutorial found here http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/about17935.html allong with this program http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/753, the dark alex downdater. Fresh format on a sony 32mb ms, default settings, had to load the ms on a card reader because it kept stalling via the PSP. The particulat tutorial I followed didn't mention anything about files from another 1.5 machine, so I didn't do that. Started up and browsed to photos and it launched the downdater, got my red screen for a few minutes then shut down.

When I restarted it I got the power led and nothing else. Tried restarting in recovery mode by holding down 'R' durring boot, nothing. Tried holding 'home', nothing.

Something I'm missing? any advice, or am I SOL?

Thanks!

2. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

first of all, there is no recovery for a non-custom firmware (2.71 sony); so yes, you are SOL...

new mobo or mod chip are only other options short of getting a new one...

3. kbeefy

kbeefy Member

so, even though I ran the downdater, got the red screen and it shut down on it's own should I assume I'm still on sony firmware?

4. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

.......the only wat to install any custom firmware onto your psp, is to have sony firmware 1.50 sony on your psp first...

from the sounds of what you say you did....it seems like you used the wrong downgrader for your TA-082 mobo'd psp....thats a bronson....its totally dead.

i would ebay a new mobo...and read a looooooot more before you do anything with another psp....

5. kbeefy

kbeefy Member

that may be, but I'm pretty sure it's not a ta-082. the board has IC6001 printed on it, not the tell-tale TA-082 number.
    So, it sounds like the downdater installs factory sony FW, then the custom FW comes after that? Great...

6. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

right...but i've only downgraded from 3.03, so i do not know what a 2.71 sony downgrade is suppose to look like...but, i have seen my fair share of semi & fully bricked psps...

let me know if im not seeing something...i guess, check the instructions again...n if you are still stuck, then ill stop being a fat ass and honker down...even though i have work in like 7 hrs..no sleep for the waery eh?

7. kbeefy

kbeefy Member

well, I'm certianly not asking anyone to subject themselves to unusual circumstances on behalf of my mistake. I was just hoping someone would say 'oh yeah, I did that. Do this and it goes away'.

I thought I had a handle on all this, obviously not. All the different versions, updaters, downdaters, hacks, emulators, homebrews and suggestions, guides, and tutorials to go with them can get a bit confusing....

8. gasconade

gasconade Regular member

i know mate...i got my psp in december, but didnt mod it until late february...was all confused, and frustrated.

i do what i always do when i dont understand something.....get pissed off at it; then sit down and mess with it until i know it...