1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's the best?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Ma33y, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Ma33y

Ma33y Member

Which is the best program to compress vob files in 4.7GB with best quality? I use DvdShrink, is it the best?

2. mykle

mykle Member

3. colw

colw Active member

You may get a variety of opinions but DVD Shrink is one of the best compression programs available (and it is free).

As mykle has indicated you may need to use it in conjunction with DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD for some of the newer protections.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you are talking strictly compression and picture quality then Shrink is not the best! It is a great program and you can't beat the price, but it is not the best commpresor...
    That title would have to go to CinemaCraftEncoder/CCE
    DVD Copy3 also does an excellent job of compression. Point is there are better proggys out there that do a better job of rendering your DVD files, but DVD Shrink does do a good job and if you arent doing much compression or watching on a 60" flat screen TV then Shrink does a good job.. :)

5. Ma33y

Ma33y Member

example:
    i have a dvd only movie that is 7GB. To compress in 4.37GB with best video quality is dvdcopy3 better than dvdshrink?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yes by far... I am not just saying that either I have tested just about every sofware proggy out there and DVD Copy3 is by far one of the best out there, and there are alot on here that would agree with me :)
    Anyone who has used DVDC3 would know it produces excellent quality DVD's. :)

7. mykle

mykle Member

is dvd copy3 only for mac users?

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  9. Ma33y

Ma33y Member

sorry bbmayo, i tried dvd copy 3 and i put option to fit in a dvd-r 4700mb but at the end it gave me a 4,31gb dvd... is it normal? is it possible to put an option to use all 4700mb? dvdshrink has this option.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

LOL yes this is normal... It is possible just use custom, but no DVD5 disk holds 4700mb of information.
    A lot of people wonder why there 4.7GB discs only write 4.38GB at maximum capacity. There is nothing wrong with your disk, but just and industry standard of calculating gigabytes. To be frank there way is incorrect because it actually takes 1024 bytes to make a full MB, yet the industry uses 1000? Go figure.. [bold]4.7 GB discs = 4.38 GB or 4489 MB for DVD-R and 4483 MB for DVD+R.[/bold]

P.S. Shrinks default is 4464mb, but most people set it to 4300mb to keep your important dat from the edge of the disk.. Final question though how was the picture when you used DVDCopy3?

11. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi bbmayo,

In the past I was very pleased with DvdXCopy Platinum.
    My media would burn at 2x and no problems.

One day I bought Ridata 4X and DvdXCopy started to burn at 4x (MAX SPEED) which is when all my problems started (On that AMD 1 Ghz PC).

Burning at 2x with Nero solved me all my problems.

Now, this DVDCopy3, does it let you choose the burning speed, or just burns at the MAX speed of your media/drive ?

Do you have a link for DVDCopy3 ?
    I will search for it, and see how much it costs...

Thanks...

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Heres the link
    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/InterVideoDVDCopy_Profile.jsp

I don't think it lets you choose the burn speed.. I believe its 79$, but well worth it :)

You can download a trial to see if you like it first..
    If you dont plan a lot of compression with your movies then the other altenative would be CloneDVD2 from Slysoft it does a good job too and its cheaper :)

13. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

I use DVD Decrypter Then DVD shrink to re-encode
    and the burn.

I have not run into any problems or quality issues.

(I always Do deep anaylsis and error compensation "sharp")

Good luck.

14. wild77

wild77 Guest

For the best quality I go with

DVD Decrypter
    DVD Rebuilder v 0.74
    CinemaCraft Encoder Basic $58.00

On movies that need little or no compression it's DVD Shrink or Nero Recode2

15. Ma33y

Ma33y Member

for bbmayo:

oh yes i know that max capacity is 4.37GB but my question is why did dvdcopy3 give me an only 4.31GB dvd when capacity is 4.37GB? In this way i lose almost 60mb... with dvdshrink i put 4484mb as max size.

My last question is: Is it better a 4.31 dvd done with dvdcopy3 or a 4.37 dvd done with dvdshrink?
    Maybe it's better a 4.37 dvd with dvdxcopy3... :)

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@ma33y
    In my opinion your playin with fire burning that close to the edge of the disk.. But hey if it works for ya.

If you are doing a lot of compression then DVDcopy3 will definatley produce the better quality. If little to no compression then it really doesn't matter which proggy you use. I wouldnt care if DVDC3 made the size 3000mb if it still produced the better finished product then that is what matters :)

17. Ma33y

Ma33y Member

thanks for your opinions... i will try better dvdcopy3. It's more than 1year that I use Memorex dvd-r (2x,4x,8x), all to the edge of disk, when necessary, and they are perfect.

18. hotmailik

hotmailik Member

Thanx to all for writing to this forum. I was looking for the answer which compression program is the best as for the picture quality.
    I've tried quite a few programs so far, and this is my experience so far:
    Most frequently used program by me is definitely CloneDVD2 by Elaboryte Bytes /www.elby.ch/, which is fast /compression time cca 15min./, easy to use, allows you to leave out the bonuses and audio tracks you don't want, while maintaining the functional menu /unlike DVDShrink/, never freezes, with good results if the compression is going to be max. 85%.

For the best picture quality, I use Pinnacle InstantCopy 8, which is, unfortunately, by far the worst program I've ever worked with. It frezes very often, relatively slow /takes 1-2 hours to compress the movie on my P4 2.6/, never uses whole capacity of DVD-R media - maximum result you get is 4.1 - 4.2GB even if you set the compression to 4.8GB or more/, and it doesn't produce VOB files but image file which you have to process with IsoBuster /maybe Nero too but I couldn't figure out how/. Thing is, that even with smaller size of resulting DVD /4.1GB compared with 4.3 or 4.4 of those from CloneDVD2 or DVDShrink/, the picture quality is definitely better.

One thing that prevents me from using DVDShrink more frequently is that you either HAVE TO backup WHOLE DVD or MAIN MOVIE only, you cannot just get rid of some parts of the DVD /bonuses, trailers/ unless you want your menu to be transformed into a movie which your DVD will start with, which makes the DVD practically unusable.
    For movies over 2 hours and a fact you're happy with main movie only is DVDShrink good choice /fast, reliable, good result/, CloneDVD2 benefits from the better usability.
    Picture quality of DVD2One, DVDShrink and CloneDVD2 is about the same, with DVDShrink being a bit ahead of the other two.
    According to information included in this forum, I'll definitely give a try to InterVideo DVDCopy 3, I'm just bit worried as in the past I had a problems with video drivers after having installed WinDVD Player from InterVideo.
    I've never heard of CinemaCraft Encoder, I'll take a look at that one too.
    Hope this post was helpful for some of you.
    Greets,
    H.