1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why 700mb rips?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by dragnandy, Feb 1, 2008.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

when people like get dvds and rip them, why are they always (or almost always) 700mb? is it so people can burn them onto a cd? is it also like normal VHS quality when dvds are at 700mb compression?

2. varnull

varnull Guest

It's because the scene people tend to upload from internet cafes. Safe, secure, anonymous, fast.

Files in 700MB size make sense as most net cafes have machines with no dvd drives, and usb ports blocked.

Same reason for films being split into 2 or more 700mb parts.

It's also that the cops are used to seeing people with burned cd's in walkmans and such, so don't tend to question the content or somebody having 2 or 3 disks on them..

paranoia is good.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2008
  3. KreleanX

KreleanX Member

well i guess that could be true, but the reason i would give is because ripped dvds are usually around 4-6 GB and storage space is expensive, so its easier to backup and share dvds if they are a few GBs smaller.

Also speaking for myself, id rather download 700MB files rather than 6GB files.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

Same here.. but I did give you the real reason for it ;)

5. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

cool, i still prefer 4.3gb ones though. well if im downloading them, its alot easier for me.well im still not sure whether i want to store them to a dvd so i can watch it on a dvd player, or store them so i can later watch them on my computer. but for now, i prefer dvd and i have to convert them if their 700mb (usually in avi), which take from 3-7 hours, and if their 4.3gb (usually in .vob files and such) i can directly burn them to a dvd without compression quality. thanks for your answers though.