1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why all the hate on Memorex?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by stxpsycho, Jan 10, 2005.

1. stxpsycho

stxpsycho Guest

Geez, whats up with all the crap about Memorex. I've burned over 300 disks using them and had very few problems. The only media I find poor is Fuji and Phillips. They seem to have alot of pixellation. And if Ritek is so good, why the hell dont they sell it at places like Best Buy or Circuit City?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved to appropriate forum.

What's up is the fact that Memorex likes to use CMC MAG media which has given many, many people poor results over a wide range of burners and firmware versions.

Stick with them if you're happy.

Who knows for sure. Ask Best Buy or Circuit City :)

3. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

I'm sure 1 company might have a better product than an other one, but I think the trick is to find a good match between your burner and the medias.

Long long time ago, when I bought my 1st 2x CD Burner.
    I use to bomb like 8 cd on 10. And yes, they were Memorex.

Tryed an other brand, and bomb 1 CD over the next year.
    The guy at the store told me (at the time) most people were very happy with the Memorex.

Same thing now, I have the LG-4040B (4x) DVD Burner.
    Until now, it burned pretty much everthing I gave him, except for 1 brand.

GigaStorage 700mb CD-R.
    Already bomb 2 in a row, with weird messages.
    Those burn 100% on my 16x Yamaha on the other PC.

Just to proove my theory :)

Take some, loose some, find things that YOU like with the results YOU want :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  4. vatsim5

vatsim5 Member

I think you have to look at the number of people posting
    on what media is better or what media is poor. The more
    that post, the better overall results we will get. When
    95% of all the posters say that Taiyo Yuden is the best
    DVD media they have used, then that shows that most of
    the members here have had great success with TY over a
    broad range of burners. When the majority of users say
    that CMC is a low grade and troublesome media we again
    have to assume that it is. It really boils down to what
    a large number of people report, as long as those reports
    are sincere and not just "following along" what others say. Personally I have found, in this order that these
    disks work best with my HP 420i drive. Taiyo Yuden,
    Verbatim Data Life Plus MCC and Ritek Richojpn. Again your mileage may vary. Zeide.

5. stxpsycho

stxpsycho Guest

I recently ran DVD Identifier on a couple of spindles I have of Memorex and all are made by Ritek. Guess that explains my success.

6. vatsim5

vatsim5 Member

It is the Ritek part of the disk that is successful, not
    the Maxell part. <G> Zeide.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Stxpsycho,
    Are you talking about +R Memorex or -R's?

8. stxpsycho

stxpsycho Guest

I have both kinds and both are made by Ritek

9. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

I can see where you are coming from stxpsycho, Memorex has been ripped on by many here at this great forum. And while I can certainly understand their vantage point as well, I too have had success with all my Memorex DVD's so far. Maybe it's luck, maybe it's not, I certainly do not purport to know the true answer to that.

The bottom line is, I think everyone will have different experiences with all the brands out there. Some will like Memorex and some obviously won't. Some will like Sony and some will like TDK. Personally, I've tried them all and have not noticed anything discernable to differentiate the quality aspect as of yet. But rest assured, if I do in fact notice any discrepancies in quality, I will post it.

10. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Rebranded media equals unreliable media. The more manufaturers a brand uses, the more likely they are to use bad manufaturers, since there are more bad manufaturers out there than there are good ones. The brand that is the most notorious rebrander out there is Memorex. At any given time, five different people could buy memorex at five different locations across the country, and they would get disks that were made by five different companies. those aren't good odds, especially since only one out of those five are good manufacturers.

As in every capitalistic endeavor, you get what you pay for.

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Balaam very nicely summed up my exact feelings towards Memorex and other rebranders. I like to know exactly what I'm getting every time I get it :)

12. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Thanks for all the information guys, I appreciate it. My intention was not to defend Memorex but rather share what has been my experience with the spindle I bought. It was a great deal and I couldn't resist giving it a shot. I certainly consider myself lucky now. :)

From now on, I think i'll be sticking to Sony, TDK and Maxell. Just for the record, what are your guys opinions on those media? Thanks!

13. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

I bought 4 25 piece tdk 8x dvd-r spindles from bestbuy that were media ID TTG02. They have burned flawlessly. I bought them about two months ago, so I can't say much about their archival life, but they still play fine two months later, and the quality of the burn is so good that I feel confident that they will last a good while.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Here is my opinion on media
    Taiyo Yuden
    Taiyo Yuden
    Taiyo Yuden

Any questions?
    Really I belive this is the only sure thing out there right now I used to like Ritek but I'm seeing more bad poop on those lately. The Prodisc's still seem to be fine also, but I don't like to chance it with those other brands because you really don't know what exactly you are getting until you open the package and insert the disk. If you are doing fine with the Memorex then consider your self one of the very few lucky ones and count your blessings. :)

15. vatsim5

vatsim5 Member

When it comes to blank DVD media, you get what you pay
    for as is the case with most things. I often read that
    people want "good cheap media". If you want quality media
    and you can count on and that will work best with most
    burners you have to pay the price. Taiyo Yuden, from
    the opinions of most users is the premium brand that will
    satisfy the needs of the greatest number of users. Yes the are more expensive, for the most part but you are also getting the best media out there as spoken by the
    majority of members. Sorry to rant. Zeide.

16. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

The problem with the whole "you get what you pay for" saying, is that these days, basically every brand can be found for virtually the same price. For example, this week, TDK is on sale for $20 for a 50 pack spindle. So is Sony at another store, and so is Memorex and so is Maxell and so on. Don't get me wrong, I know what your vantage point is and can certainly understand the underlying message, but with the juxtaposition of media price, it probably is not as simple as you get what you pay for anymore.

If Memorex,Sony, Taiyo Yuden, TDK and Panasonic can all be found for virtually the same price, then I guess you have to go with what has been proven to be more consistent. In this case, it appears TY is the best. But obviously, price is not as big an issue as it once was made out to be.

17. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

That might be true about the other media, but Taiyo Yudens still are somewhat more expensive then the media you will find in brick and mortar stores, so in the case of Taiyo Yuden's, you do indeed get what you pay for.

18. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

At any rate, ordered some Taiyo Yuden's and they should be arriving soon. Hope they are as good as everyone is advertising them to be.

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well if you have a problem with the TY's you would be the first I have heard of. :)

20. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

The fact that Bestbuy or circuit city sell some stuff doesn't make the companies that make those stuff become famous or anything important at all. For an example, IBM makes reliable, and incredible performance laptop, but bestbuy doesn't sell any IBM laptops all.
    And Memorex has such horrible records because their disc are not always made by memorex, most of the time their discs are made by some no name, no face companies. So one night this company make some disc and label it memorex (cause memorex pays them to do so), then another night somebody else makes another memorex disc.
    The end is that when you receive your memorex disc, u migh twonder who made your disc last night?