1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why am I having this problem?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by jdb34, Dec 4, 2004.

1. jdb34

jdb34 Member

I am having two problems, I will list one at a time.

First:
    I have a messiah HK modded PS2(vers. 7)
    The 11 games I currently have are all burned on DVD +R(most CompUSA brand) and they all work.
    I purchased Ritek G04 DVD -R's. I purchased these because I have seen many times that they are one of the best media types to use for PS2 Backups, and so I can burn at 1x(which is the other problem, which I will list below). Anyways, I burned one of the games at 4x on the Ritek media, but I am recieving Disc Read Error when trying to load it up on my PS2.

Second:
    As stated above it deals with writing at 1x. I purchased the Lite-on SOHW 1633s, and the Ritek G04. I am using dvd decrypter, Alcohol 120 and Nero. I can only write at 4x. I have even tried upgrading the firmware and using the omnipatch to have it write at 1x. The firmware is applied and it burns at the speed I tell it, but I don't think the actual burn works, I tested this on both -R and +R disc, I again recieve the Read Disc Error for both. So I reverted back to an older firmware. I want to burn at 1x instead of 4x because I have heard if playing with a burned game at 4x, kills your laser faster.

Questions:
    Why am I recieving "Read Disc Error" when I burned at 4x using Ritek?
    Is it possible that the my PS2 does not recognize DVD -R's?
    What can I do to get a 1x burn? or is it possible?

2. Cachorrao

Cachorrao Member

I'f found the DVD-r more compatible than the DVD+r. WHy you can't burn at 1x is beyond me. You must have each set to burn at the fastest speed possible automaticaly. Chances are the GO4 disks you have are not the true 4x disks. They are actually 2x but burn data disks at 4x. What happened to the true 4x disks I don't know. I've been trying to locate them myself. THis is why you are getting the disk read error. Because you are trying to burn at 4x when it's not possible to burn at 4x.

With Nero it asks you what speed to burn at. WHen you do a 1 to 1 copy the first window that opens up will have 3 tabs: Image, copy options and Burn. You will see write speed and a drop down menu asking what speed to burn at, 1x, 2x, or 4x. Highlight & click 1x and then copy.

With DVD decrypter under the mode tab chose IFO write. WHenyou do at the bottom right hand corner you will see settings and under it write speed and a drop down menu. Highlight and click 1x.

WIth ALcohol 120% click image burning wizard. The window will open asking you to selct the image file you want to burn. Whne you select the image for burning a new window will open and it will have a drop down menue of what drive to use adn the next one down is what speed to burn. The default is maximum. CLick on it and you willg et a drop down menu of what speed to use. Click on 1x.

3. jdb34

jdb34 Member

Well I finally got them to burn at 1x. But heres the kicker. When I play them they skip a bit, but the ones I have burned at 2.4x or 4x, dont. And they are DVD +R's obviously. I thought 1x was suppose to be better quality..lol. Im about to just trash the DVD -R and use just +R's.

4. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

i think you picked a bad time to switch to g04's as there seems to be some real crappy g04's on the market at the moment

5. jdb34

jdb34 Member

Would it matter where I ordered them at? I purchased mine at meritline. Thinking about getting some Ritek DVD +R and burn them at 2.4x.

6. Cachorrao

Cachorrao Member

I can't speak for the + didsks sicne i have a 105 and it only does -. IMO what has happened is the 8x and dual alyer disks ahve taken a more inportant role to them. Perhaps they are even intentionaly trying to make weaker quality 4x disks to encourage you to buy the 8x ones. What has happened is the true 4x fully branded disks have left the market. What is left now are still G04's that are branded int he hub only, but are not true 4x disks. They are actually 2x disks with the ability to burn data at 4x, but nothing else. Eny other format can only be burned at 2x. IMO they are clearly an inferior product. So it's not goign to matter where you buy them from they are going to be the same product. I have no problems iwth them for movies etc.. just for PS2 backups and of course the lack of being able to burn at 4x.

I actually jsut ordered some of the G05 8x disks and I'm going to see how they are.

7. life4k2

life4k2 Member

I have a LITE-ON DVD+RW Burner and i have an option of burning with any software. I also have a swap magic 2.0 and 3.0. I have a v7 ps2. I wanna know if i could make backups of my ps2 games with a dvd+r disc, without any problems at all. I'll appreciate your response.

Thank you

8. Cachorrao

Cachorrao Member

You can but I'm not sure how compatible they will be. Some versions have problems reading DVD+R disks others don't. V7 has been one of them but IMO one of the major problems was the media itself. I think in the past the disks weren't that reliable and high quality and as a result didn't work for people. I think now the didks are much mroe reliable so they may not be a problem. I owuls suggest you buy a couple and try them out. If all you are doing is using them for PS2 then don't buy a 100 pack etc...