1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why are my new DVD back ups not working?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by CHRONOS, Nov 6, 2003.

1. CHRONOS

CHRONOS Guest

Hopefully someone can help me. For a couple of weeks i have backed up at least 6 films with no probs playing on various DVD players inc XBOX. Now for some reason dont play in anything. I am using DVD SHRINK and NERO and sometimes decrypter. Have any tried to copy a DVD have copied before, yet the new copy does not work! Am using Ritek X4. I reckon some settings have been changed by accident! Any help would be grateful.

2. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

3. CHRONOS

CHRONOS Guest

Hi there thanks for the advice, thing is my NERO is not a full one ( well i think??) NERO Express i got with my drive. Any how tried copying the DVD that was the first to cause me problems (Italian Job - new one) and it worked perfectly this time! But i did use Dvd decrypter before putting it through SHRINK. Maybe i just had a couple of faulty discs? Thanks anyway.

4. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

You're welcome. ;)

5. mgreen

mgreen Member

I have been using shrink and roxio. I know pro's moan about roxio so which burner would be the best one to use. I also have a dvd-r that plays on my standalone. When I have copied it to another dvd-r or a dvd+rw it doesn’t work. The only difference is the manufacturer of the blank disc. Surely that wouldn’t make a difference would it? Also what is this decryptor and should I be using it? CHRONOS, if I do the same as you I can assume my copy’s will play on xbox as well. Have you had yours chipped or is it just standard.
    Ps. I have been using Packard bell blank discs. Should I get a different make?
    Help this is getting expensive!!!

6. CHRONOS

CHRONOS Guest

Hi mgreen, all copys i have made so far (despite the problem with Italian Job)have worked fine on various players inc my un-modified XBOX. The discs i am using are Riteks X4 DVD-R , work no problem & are cheap! From the various comments i have seen on this site the makes of discs do make a difference, mind you have seen complaints with TDK and Memorex. These are the programs i have been using

DVD SHRINK 3 BETA 5
    NERO (think its 5)

Have also used DVD2ONE to just have the movie on disc but if you get SHRINK to work i wouldn't bother. DVD decrypter is useful though use it with the DVD-R you already have then use the files produced in NERO. I have done the same with a DVD-R worked fine! Also use decrypter on a DVD then use the files through SHRINK thats how got Italian Job to work. I've also heard good things about BURNATONCE its freeware will be giving that a test this week.

7. mgreen

mgreen Member

Thanks for the reply. I will get some of the dvd-r you suggest. Bit of a bugger as I have spent around £70 on the packard bell ones. (more fool me).
    Just to be clear. If I use this decryptor do I, run it first, then put it through shrink, then burn the dvd.
    Also I have downloaded NERO but when I go to burn it asks me for a serial number? Where do I get it or do I need to pay?
    Sorry if any of this is stupid but i'm new to this computer lark.
    Cheers for the help.

8. CHRONOS

CHRONOS Guest

No worries, i'm a newbie as well! Think i've just been lucky. I would expect the packard bell ones to be ok, i've used their CD-R s in the past no probs. Well you dont have to use decrypter first, i only did with the Italian Job, was just trying anything as it was doing my head in! Just a suggestion to try if you still having problems. Regarding NERO i think you can get a trial version from their site to test see if it works for you. Then if you like it, buy it & you should get a code to put in. Well i assume as i got mine with the drive. So if i were you try SHRINK then straight into NERO. Oh this is the site i got my Riteks X4 from

www.ukdvdr.co.uk

I paid around £25 for 25
    Hope this helps

9. koola

koola Guest

Yep, ukdvdr is a great site!