1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are there so many faulty backups on usenet?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Dmurph, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Dmurph

Dmurph Member

Hello all.

I use usenet and am attempting to backup my games. It seems 90% of what i download once extracted gives me the msg "Unsupported file format" in DVDDecrypter. Am i doing something wrong or are they all raelly that faulty?

Damon

2. claymores

claymores Member

yep..getting the same here. although i have found, after extraction if its a .iso file then no problem, but if its anything else its a no go. i have no idea what to do to get it to work.
    a side issue if it is from "dnl" then it almost always fails.

3. Dmurph

Dmurph Member

I took a risk and burnt it in CloneCD. It worked / works fine.

Try using tweekie's guide. Dont quote me on this though, obviously i'm going ot have to try it a few more times to make sure.

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

It's not the downloads, it's DVDD. DVDD doesn't recognise .000 or .360 files. That's why you're getting that error. Switch to Imgburn. It's also free and make by the creator of DVDD.

5. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

you dudes can't blame NG's or groups when you're using the wrong program to burn....

If you bother to read the nfo file that came with it will tell you to use CloneCD or ImgBurn.

6. Dmurph

Dmurph Member

Hey mate, i know what your saying but i learnt to burn games in DVDDecrypter. Simple mistake :) (I thought the reference to cloneCD was a general one, and not a rule [i.e. use clonecd instead of dvddecrypter - no particular reason why])

7. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

hey, it's ok - now buy me a beer ;)

now you mention, each new console seems to 'require' a different burning method, like in the Dreamcast days for early backups you needed DiscJuggler but lots of people were complaining that it was too hard to use etc etc, before that game isos usually came in bin and cue files, orginally could only be properly burned with the right Cdrwin version. Then people sorta like demanded iso files which was totally stupid, but then Nero evolved and could burn like everything. But now we're back using CloneCD/ImgBurn. And I don't mind it all.

8. Dmurph

Dmurph Member

I like cloneCD too. ITs very easy to use and seems quite fast

9. b18bek9

b18bek9 Regular member

yea CloneCD Imgburn and DVD decryptor do the job for me...plus i use blackcats to download my backups which doesnt give me any problems

10. claymores

claymores Member

i am still getting a problem, please bare with me to see if i am doing something wrong.
    i run sfv to check bad files, if all ok or not i run par2, then extract the .rar file with powerarchiver.
    this is where i get problems, when exracted if its a .iso then it will burn and work with DVDD, imgburn & clonecd. if it is a .000 then imgburn & clonecd will burn it but it will not work, DVDD msg "unsupported"
    any pointers please

11. steimy

steimy Active member

you can never tell what people are uploading. Some people just have no idea what they are doing and make bad uploads, other do know what they are doing but do not bother to test them as it will waste discs making a game they already have. Use torrent sites instead, they may be slower but at least the games work and you do not waste the expensive DVD+R DL media. Also you have to be aware that it depends on which drive you have in your 360 as to how far you must go to make them work. You have no worries with a Samsun that runs Xtreme 5.2 firmwar. Hitachi drives you need to check each image file with Xbox Backup Creator in the stealth check and make sure evrything passes as they need to be stealth. And if i remember correct you might also have to booktype they as DVD-Rom.

12. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

I use nothing but DVDD and I get all my games from newsgroups and they have all worked. Even the ones with the .000 exstension, I just change the exstension to .iso and burn a working backup. Try that, it should work.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  13. claymores

claymores Member

just changed the file name to .iso and tried clonecd & imgburn both copied but all i have is coasters. any help from here

14. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

What about DVDD? Thats what I meant for you to try. You have to modify the filename in the .dvd file also, if you use those.

15. Dmurph

Dmurph Member

Hey claymores. That sounds like a problem more to do with the file downloaded rather than your burning technique. What media do you use (including DVD-Writer) and where are you getting your games from (manual backups, usenet, torrents etc)

Damon

16. claymores

claymores Member

nbzrus, giganews, usenet, & newzbin, Aone dvd+r d/l discs, dvd is a Sony/NEC Optiarc AD-5170A 18xDVD±RW/RAM & DL , but i have backed up Wii, xbox & 360 games.
    the problem is only IMAGE.000/IMAGE.dvd

many thanks for the advise so far

17. Dmurph

Dmurph Member

hmm, not exactly sure then mate. I use the recommendation of pioneer 111 and verbatim and i've had no problems. I think you'll need advice from someone with more expertise :(

18. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

do you have ImgBurn installed. if so, you can just right-click the .dvd file and you can select "burn using imgburn"

ImgBurn never failed burning 360games, you guys need to stop randomly renaming file types/names. of course it will fail.

19. jimmy42

jimmy42 Regular member

ImgBurn for EVER :)