1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why avi files?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by matahari, Apr 22, 2005.

1. matahari

matahari Guest

Hi everyone,

This is something that I have been wondering about for a while now but still haven't found the answer... why are avi files the most popular, most available and used files?
    I usually get an avi file, then run it through TMPGenc Xpress to make it an mpg file and then either burn it onto a VCD or make from a few files a DVD with TMPGenc DVD Author.
    So I was really wondering why do people offer avi files? Why not encode them already and them make the mpg file available, so that everyone else saves the encoding time? Or is there an easier or a different way to deal with avi files, less time consuming?
    I am not trying to have it the easy way and get everything ready on my plate, it is just something that I would really like to know... as I have a feeling that there is something that I don't know and spend hours and hours encoding...
    Thank you, I appreciate it!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

It is simple...The DivX/XviD AVI formats are Much More compressed than Mpeg files with better quality so they are Faster to download and Take up less Disk space and they are easilly converted to other Formats....

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

LOL,...are you sure about that? :)

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i guess "easy" is subjective adjective.
    yeah relativity :)

but i think with a little knowledge its easy.