1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why AVI?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by bbw, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Niko2000

Niko2000 Member

1st Question
    So are you saying that I just have normal avi files that are burned as data files that work on my apex dvd player, and the NO part is in reference to divx/xvid avi's that can not be burned and watched as a movie on my apex which are most likely not what I have?

2nd Question
    So in (my newbie theory)wouldn't be possible to reconvert the file from divx/xvid back to regular avi or remove the code in order to make it viewable as a data file.

3rd Question
    1st Everybody on this fourm complains about how long conversions take not all users have a
    1G-2.4G processor to handle such tasks, so what technique I use should be of no suprise.

2nd I wanna know how do I follow (i guess my technique) to the letter if I don't have one. Everybody says use the new Nero 6 on these forums so if not Nero then what?
    I have looked at the guides online at our site here, but how am I to use them if I can't figure out how to get a regular avi file to play on my dvd player such as the one's that were given to me and verified of their file type?

If burning an avi file as a data file why isn't
    put in plain english and used a little more often than going through conversions.

(It can't be because of quality because the avi's I watch on my dvd player are crystal clear.)

<<< hehe the quote syntaxt works much better when quote is spelt properly :p and dont forget the slash on the closing quote -Praetor>>>

Last edited: Nov 3, 2003
  2. Minion

Minion Senior member

DivX/XviD Files are Just regular AVI files and should be Viewable on any PC that had the Installed Codecs..and if you have one of those DVD players that supports Mpeg-4/DivX/XviD you just Burn these AVI files to CD-R and they should play on the DVD player...And converting Files to DivX/XviD is Very easy, for me even easier than Mpeg1/2 Conversions to VCD/SVCD/DVD,...And Most poeple Should have a 2ghz Or faster PC these Days as they are extremely cheap..I just Built a whole Intel 2.4ghz System for about $325 US and rescently upgraded a friends PC from a 600mhz to a Athlon XP 2200+ for $120..and they will get even cheaper as Intel and AMD are trying to clear out there stock or P-4"s and Athlon XP"s to make way for the next Generation technoligy like Hyper-Threading and 64Bit..Nows the Time to Upgrade if you have a Lowly 1ghz PC...Cheers

PS:Actually were I live we don"t get Snow, Just 6 months of Rain...Vancouver and Victoria..

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

What I am saying is that a $50 player will not play DivX/XviD. Period.

An divx/xvid file IS and AVI file. Notice the extension at the end of the filename? AVI. (it might be divx but thats just stupid naming conventions, rename it to avi hehe). So you dont need to convert anything.

They dont take that long. You can usually score realtime with a 1.5Ghz+ class processor. Even on a dinky P3-800, for a 2hour movie it donesnt ever take more than 4 hours.

Cheap yes but for the average person, 2Ghz is a little high. Not everyone has the time/money to be buyin comps all the time. :)

4. Niko2000

Niko2000 Member

This has been more than intresting,

[qoute]What I am saying is that a $50 player will not play DivX/XviD. Period[/qoute]

OK so then obviously I have avi's that are not Divx/Xvid that do play on a $50 player.

These are the specific questions that I am looking for, If you don't have the answers what help will it do me.

1.Are the movies on my disk more than likely to be regular avi's that were burned to my cd-r as a data cd with a program like nero (which I shouldn't use)?

2.If so, there are three movies on each disk,
    how does the dvd player know which movie I want to play, or is there a way to create a menu to select which movie should be viewed on a data cd?

3.If so does anyone know what kind of program should be used?

4.What program should I use since I understand Nero will give me problems?

Re: Renaming an avi file.
    [qoute]An divx/xvid file IS and AVI file. Notice the extension at the end of the filename? AVI. (it might be divx but thats just stupid naming conventions, rename it to AVI hehe). So you dont need to convert anything.
    [/qoute]

The reason I would need to reconvert an avi file from a divx/xvid file is because divx/xvid avi's are not viewable on cheaper standalone players such as the apex, which views non-divx/xvid avi's. The soultion to my problem is not to upgrade and by a standalone player which can view these newer (xvid) formats or upgrade my computer because I don't like waiting to convert my files to huge mpeg1 files and then burning them, whoever suggested that saying it cost about 200 dollars is nuts because now upgrading to a better power supply is a must which cost you $60.00 bucks then you better have DDR ram, what you must have 512mb of ram that alone is $200 or more and don't consider getting 1g of ram,have you even bought your motherboard and chip combo another $200 so no another upgrade is not cheap, thanks for the advice though.

In simple I just wanna know how this guy got these movie on this disk without converting them i have about 30 disk and there all the same no directories like vcd's just avi's now I know this isn't magic and is possible and that theres and easy uncomplicated way of doing this.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Just to be clear, and stop the generalizations, what brand/model of DVD player do you have?

6. Niko2000

Niko2000 Member

As stated on Nov 1st message [qoute]I have an Apex DVD player $50.00 circuit city.[/qoute]

Either way that has nothing to do with the situation most dvd players now come with the abilities that this apex can do plus more.

So just to be clear [bold]I have been more than clear,[/bold]if you would have read the original postings that I have posted, you would see that.

I apologize for my frustration being that I'm looking for someone who can either confirm or deny or explain what seems to an easy task.

I tried burning as a data file but that does not work because how does the dvd player know what to actualy play my cds have some kind of menu but it seems to use an apex menu that has the names of the movies in the menus.

Once again if this is not possible or if I'm really leaving something out please let me know.

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Again, what's the model? I have an APEX 1010W from Walmart that plays almost anything that you throw at it, including miniDVD, but it won't play an AVI of any kind. Playing AVIs is not common at all because it requires an entirely different chip. It can't be done with a standard MPEG decoder, which is what decodes DVD, SVCD, and VCD. Like others who've posted here, I've never seen or heard of a $50 DVD player capable of AVI playback.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  8. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Are there any other files on the CD that you can play?

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. It is spelt quote not qoute

In the same light, had you read my posts you would have realized that I didnt suggest you not use Nero 6 but explicitly not to use the Nero 6 encoder

Don't slam people for tryin to help out. Minion is from Canada (as am I) and yes you can upgrade for that little. In fact you can, with some research buy yourself a brand new system (Barton2500, A7V8X-X, GF4Ti4400, 120GB, 512PC2700, Case, 350W) for $350 -- after taxes.

No you havent. In case you havnt yet noticed, Apex makes more than one product. Hence specifics were required (think of it like this.... someone asks you "What do you drive?", you answer "A car" when the appropriate and useful answer would be something like "Ford Taurus". Stating that you have an APEX player is like saying you have a PC-compatible machine. Although correct, the response is thoroughly useless

- Nobody said you shouldnt use nero to burn movies
    - There isnt really such a thing as a 'regular' avi

- If you had read my post, you would have realized that a divx/xvid file is an AVI file
    - Standalones typically do not play AVI files. Certainly not $50 ones. Perhaps you might furnish a weblink or a model number to substantiate this?

- Who said anything about MPEGs? Are you sure you have it right (i.e., you are talking about MPEGs when you mean to talk about AVIs?)
    - MPEG conversion is bloody fast (compared to AVI conversion)... usually on the order of twice as fast

- Most people wont need a new PSU (the stock 300W one should do fine) because the average user doesnt have a rack of 150 HDDs or a billion fans and lights to power or something to that nature. Furthermore, a nice PSU (450W) you can easily fetch for $70 (with some research, prolly down to $50)
    - DDR ram is dirt cheap -- far cheaper than PC66/100/133/142/150/166. Consider this: 1GB of Corsair's shiny new TWINX1024-4000PRO (http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx1024-4000pro.pdf ) can be bought for $450 ... compared to regular average joe PC133 1GB modules which sell for $370. Then again not everyone needs Corsair :p For DDR that you would be consdering, 1GB retails for $350. Cheapo regular 512MB modules you can grab for $125 easy
    - Finally for $200 with a little research you can get damn near two-thirds of a machine dude.

The only way you can get menus is with (S)(K)(M)VCDs (mini)DVDs