1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why bother upgrading?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Bantamo, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Bantamo

Bantamo Member

Okay peoples, I've been lurking here for quite a while (Long enough to upgrade from Sony official a while back to 3.40OE-A)
    Its gotten to the point where the reason that i went with OE is no longer valid. (I wanted to play Playstation games, THAT I OWNED) on a PSP.
    Well, Now i want to play the official PSP Games on my PSP, and i don't want to have to upgrade my FW every time a new game comes out....
    Like i said, i've got 3.40OE-A... Is there any reason why i shouldn't go Official, say from one of the newer games? I think they need 3.51, although i could be wrong.

2. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Well, upgrading to another custom firmware only takes what? 5 minutes longer to get everything together than an official update? The way i see it: There's no point in upgrading to official. Go to 3.52 M33.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  3. Bantamo

Bantamo Member

Okay, i won't be like everyone else and where i have to go to get the files needed, but when i upgraded, i used an EasyInstaller..
    I do need to know if there is an EasyInstaller, since thats the only way i know how to do it...
    I guess i need 3.40OE-A --> 3.52M33 EasyInstaller?
    Is WinInstall the same thing? I'v seen that mentioned a few times.

4. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

Newer CFW comes with PSP emulators built in so you can start the PSP game with a click of a button without going through emulators.

If at any point in your gaming life you do want to play a newer game, what difference is upgrading officially to upgrading to CFW? They both take the same amount of time and with CFW you can add your own plugins such as playing your own music while playing games, Irshell (Playing games from your PC on your PSP - saves buying loads of memory cards and spending all day loading them onto an MS when all you want to do is test a game). Easier to change any of the configuration on your PSP and CFW includes the recovery console incase of your PSP ever being bricked.

If any frineds PSP's ever become bricked and you are on official firmware you will not be able to create a Pandora battery.

There are many other reasons to go CFW but i cant be bothered to sit here and list them all night.

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

This isn't an easy installer but it is just as easy.

You can go from an OE version right to a M33 version. But some users have had issues doing it that way. So I always recommend users on OE to recover to 1.50 firmware then up to 3.52 M33-4 custom firmware.

So if your interested doing it manually below are the steps to recover to 1.50 then upgrade to 3.52 M33-4

First off make sure your PSP is plugged in to the AC Adapter. Keep your PSP plugged in the whole time you are doing these steps.

The PSP also needs to have a battery charge level of 75% or higher. To check the Battery level go to your system settings then battery information. It will give you the % level there. If it is lower then 75% turn off the PSP and let it charge till it is over 75% (I would recomend charging it to 100$)

Now it is time to downgrade to 1.50

Format your memory Stick using PSP system settings.

Download this RECOVERY file.

Extract the file which will extract a RECOVERY folder. Now connect the PSP to PC via USB. Place the RECOVERY folder in the /PSP/GAME folder of the PSP Memory Stick.

Now go to recovery menu.

Do this by turning off the PSP. Hold the power button up till the power led turns off. Now hold the R shoulder button down and keep it down while turning the PSP on.

The Recovery menu should come up. When it does select the option "RUN PROGRAM AT /PSP/GAME/RECOVERY/EBOOT.PBP follow the on screen instructions and it will downgrade your PSP back to 1.50 firmware (After it downgrades you might get a blue screen with a bunch of text. If you get this screen just hit O and the PSP will reboot and you will need to enter your settings).

Go to the System Settings then system information and make sure it says 1.50 before continuing below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to update to 3.52 M33 then 3.52 M33-4

Format the Memory Stick using system settings.

Download the 3.52 M33 CFW linked below. (I have placed all needed files in this download)

3.52 M33 HERE

Extract the file which will extract a UPGRADE_FILES folder. Inside this folder is kxploitpatcher, kxploitpatcher% and M33CREATOR.

Copy the M33CREATOR, kxploitpatcher and kxploitpatcher% folders to the PSP/GAME folder.

Go to Game Menu Memory Stick and run the KXploit Permanent Patcher (There will be a corrupt data file also here but ignore it because It is normal). It should run and say patched successfully and reboot back to the XMB(PSP menu).

Now go to game Menu Memory Stick and run the M33CREATOR.

When you run the M33CREATOR it will show loading 150 writing 150 then loading 352 writing 352 something like that. When it is done it should reboot back to the XMB.

Now go to Game Menu Memory Stick and run the 3.52 M33 UPDATE that the M33CREATOR created. It will flash the files to the PSP when it is finished it will say press X to shutdown. Go ahead and press X after the PSP turns off turn it back on and go to system settings then system information and check to see if your at 3.52 M33 firmware.

If you are then do the below steps.

If you are not then you did something wrong and need to redo the steps above.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your at 3.52 M33 reformat the Memory Stick again.

Download the below 3.52 M33-4 update.

3.52 M33-4 HERE

Now extract the 3.52 M33-4 update.

Drag the PSP folder that is in the M33-4 update you just extracted, into the root of the Memory Stick (Don't confuse the MP_ROOT as the root of the Memory Stick. The root is the directory that has the ISO/MP_ROOT/PSP folder).

If you do it correctly it should ask to overwrite files. Choose YES TO ALL when it does. If it doesn't ask to overwrite files then you did it wrong. Format the memory Stick again and drag the PSP folder over to the root till it ask to overwrite.

If it asks to overwrite then you can proceed to the Game Menu Memory Stick and run the M33-4 update. This will only take a few seconds to do. When it is done it will say press X to shut down. When it shuts down turn the PSP back on and go to system settings then system information and check to see if it says 3.52 M33-4.

If it doesn't say that then redo the steps above again. If it does say it then reformat the Memory Stick 1 more time.

You are now updated to 3.52 M33-4