1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why bother with 16X media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dbennion, Feb 6, 2005.

1. dbennion

dbennion Member

I use just quality 8X media, all of which burn at 16X on my BenQ, and I cannot find a player they don't play on.

Why bother with 16X media? What possible advantage is there to move from the tried and true? Is there any set of circumstances where the 16X blanks might be an improvement?

2. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

Just because your dvd writer says that it can write on that dvd at 16x, does not mean that dvd is capable of handling 16x speeds. If the dye used in the dvd is not designed for that rate of burn, It could not only damage the disk but the writer as well... That is a gamble that I'm not willing to take, Bad media or good.....

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  3. dbennion

dbennion Member

Well not only does the burner SAY it recognizes the DVD blank as capable of burning at 16X, it BURNS at 16X and the backups all PLAY perfectly on any player I can throw them at ... about 7 in all, some older and some new.

I've done this with scores of movies without incident. The 16X burns score consistently in the mid to high 90's with Nero's Quality Score.

It works for me, and I was just wondering if someone had a good reason why I might want to reconsider ... if on their setup, burns at 16X with 8X quality media don't work very well, whereas using 16X does work.

I'm using 8X media from Daxon (+R) (I'm finding these blanks are slightly better than Maxells), Maxell (-R), Taiyo Yuden (-R) and Verbatim (-R).

4. legenux

legenux Member

"I'm using 8X media from Daxon (+R) (I'm finding these blanks are slightly better than Maxells), Maxell (-R), Taiyo Yuden (-R) and Verbatim (-R). "

ROFL man, you need more experience before coming to a conclusion like that. NOTHING BEATS "Maxells), Maxell (-R), Taiyo Yuden (-R) and Verbatim (-R)" .

5. dbennion

dbennion Member

So legenux, what was the point to your posting? Was it to display your superiority, your vast wisdom? Or was it to knock someone down because you find that fun to do?

Here's some advice, legenux. Before you post something both stupid and ignorant, try actually reading the posting you are responding to. I said that in my experience, the Daxons were a little better than the Maxells. Period.

Over the past year or so I have burned about 1500 blanks using various media, so I have a little experience in this area. I have burned about 100 each of the Daxons and the Maxells.

YOu have burned more of each? You have vast experience with both of these media? Well then share your experiences, and don't ridicule others.

6. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

dbennion you need to watch the personal attacks your status as a "Newbie" may not refect your expertise but others will weigh your comments based on it.

As for Daxon the only information I find is:

Scource Search on "Dax" DVD media code

http://www.videohelp.com

Gee BenQ media burns great on BenQ writer. Go figure.
    What is the Media code on your 8x media.

legenux Newbie how much expertise are you showing is saying
    As they say [bold]NEVER SAY NEVER[/bold].

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

none of the newbies seem to push Ridata or Ritek anymore. i've tried verbatim, sony, maxell, samsung, and about 6 other brands, and highest success rate, for me, has been with Ridata. it's very good media. i say give it a try before you condemn it with the rest.

8. ricster

ricster Regular member

@legenux - I think you misunderstood the punctuation. What dbennion said was (correct me if I'm wrong here) that he finds the Daxon+R slightly better than the Maxell+R. He also uses Maxell-R, Taiyo Yuden-R and Verbatim-R.

9. henryting

henryting Regular member

Hi,
    Everyone has their own preference and let's not urge over this topic.

10. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

From day one I've used nothing but the BRANDED Ridata 4x dvd+r media with only one bad disc in the last 350.

As long as this media is available I'll continue purchasing it, however as the newer media becomes faster I'm sure the 4x will eventually be phased out. My concern is with the Branded Ridata 8x dvd+r media. I've read many postings where the topic had to do with the various dyes Ritek is using on their blanks. A bit confusing.

I'd like to get a few opinions about this media from those who burned a large quantity of both Ritek Radata [4x and 8x] dvd+r blank media.

Also since the prices of TY media is comparable to most Radata perhaps I'll begin purchasing the TY 8x dvd-r silvers. I say -r simply for the reason that +r wont play on my brother's Rotel dvd player.

I'm won't be overly concerned with any other media unless the group recomends it. Thanks

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ Pony321

I've burned plenty RiDATA 4X +R (RICOHJPNR01) with perfect results and am about 35 burns into my first 100 spindle of RiDATA 8X +R (R03) with outstanding results burning them at 4X :)

12. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

Glad to hear the good news. A while back I purchased a 100 pack of the Branded Ridata 4x dvd-r. The 4x branded discs no longer exists however the silver matt and the silver shiny discs are still available and I have tried both with some success.

From what I've read the branded Riteks are the only way to go so I've decided to purchase a small cakebox of the branded Ridata 8x dvd-r.

I've read in previous threads that the dye on these discs have been altered (in different lots)in one way or another. This was an on-going discussion which leads me to believe that perhaps Ritek was doing some kind of dye substitution during the disc manufacturing process.

I'm rather confused at this point. Even though I'm a fan of the +r (Harman-Kardon dvd-101) many of family members have dvd players which won't accept the +r. I thought switching to the Ridata branded 8x dvd-r would be the solution but not if the recording dye on this disk is inconsistant each time I make a purchase.

Like I mentioned earlier the TY dvd-r discs might be the way to go.

13. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Pony321
    My experience with Ritek is similar to Nephilims. My R03s were sold as 4x but DVD ID shows it to be 8x media. I burned one 8x just for grins and it worked fine. I still burn at 4x. Why chance to save 8 minutes.

14. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I've used Ritek -r/4x, Verbatim movie reels -r/4x, and Maxell -r/4x media. The media I bought from Wal-Mart, originally bought to backup my Xbox & Ps2 games, has worked flawless for backing up my movies. Lately, I've experienced occasional glitches with the verbatim & Ritek media but none with the Maxell. I've tested the Maxell's on all my players & the movies run smooth. Performance varys when it comes to media, believe me I know because if tried just about everything. I thought Maxell was like Memorex, boy was I wrong!! I tried the Memorex -r/8x media and burned a movie at 12X which is the Maximum speed of my burners and the movie froze just about half-way thru?? I really don't think certain media can handle those kinds of speed(12X or 16X) in my opinion. I've always had better performance when I slow the burner to 4x. I'm don't really give a damn about speed as opposed to accuracy. I will give these Daxon's a shot if I can find them?? Thanks guys

15. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

It's always good to hear the opinions of others.

I'm convinced that the recording dye formula on the branded Ritek Ridata dvd-4x dvd media (G04) is set in stone. Meaning every time I purchase this media it will perform the same and for this reason I have always purchased this 4x -r branded media. However Ritek no longer make this 4x -r BRANDED media.

I do have my doubts about the branded Ritek Ridata 8x dvd-r since 'according to what I've read' the recording dye could be different from batch to batch.

That was my only concern at the moement. I'll continue to monitor the postings and eventually come up with a conclusion. Thanks.