1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why burn at 1x?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by k_dogg, Jan 28, 2004.

1. k_dogg

k_dogg Member

I read on alot of ps2 dvd backup guides, that you should burn/read all your backups at 1x. Is there any reason to why? I assume it's so you have a higher rate of succesfully backing up the dvd. Will the backup still work if it is burnt at 4x? Has anyone tried it?

2. FFW

FFW Member

I never back up a ps2 game on 4x the highest i use is at 2x. I along time when i back up my ps1 games i use a high burning speed. The game played like crap. Longer load times, glitchy and just crap lol. It's like your try to paint a preety picute. U can rush it at 4x and u COULD F up and miss something important ot u can take yor time and HAVE A LESS of a chance missing something.

3. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

the chance of a backup working after burnt at 4x will be small... however burning at 1x or 2x it might work normaly all depends on media you burn at...

4. Velesco

Velesco Member

I always set my recordnow max to burn at max speed. It hasnt done me wrong yet.

5. Velesco

Velesco Member

Sorry, double post

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  6. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

i set once max in primodvd and it made a backup in 3 mins on 16x on my 104!!! it sure did me wrong :( not only the backup didnt work i had to fix my burner

7. Xian

Xian Regular member

I think the burn at 1x thing is a myth, it has been repeated so much that people take it for fact. I remember seeing a white paper on DVD write speeds a while back and it stated that the drives are optimized by the manufacturer for writing at their highest speed since the manufacturers know that is what most people will use them at - ie you don't buy a 4x burner to burn at 1x.

I usually burn at 2x and have had no problems. I always use good media - Ritek G04. When I first got my Pioneer 105 DVD burner I backed up about 25 or so at 4X and they all worked fine. Then I had a single failure on Dark Cloud 2. I reburned it at 2X and it worked so I have just left DVD Decrypter on that setting since then. So far I have burned nearly 200 successfully with that single failure. I have never burnt a single one at 1x speed.

They always said the same thing on PS1 backups as well - burn at 1x. I have burnt many CDs at 24x for my PS1 have not had a single failure on any of those.

I have noticed that my Apex DVD player does not want to play movies burnt at 4x but the same one will play fine if I burn it at 2x. The movies burnt at 4x work in my Pioneer 333 and PS2 though.

8. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

i agree with xian. since my tdk 420n is a dvd+R burner the slowest speed it goes is 2.4x. all my games ive burned at that speed since i cant go any lower, i use dvd decrypter.yes once ive had a problem with the game manhunt, but replacing media fixed the problem. i think it all depends on the media you use.

9. vairox

vairox Regular member

to be sure its done right, i burn at 1x or 2x on audio cd's as well...

10. zerogod

zerogod Member

on my hp dvd 300i with memorex dvd+r's, i've burned at 4x no problem... everygame has worked fine.. no longer loading times, or glitches... just depends on speed of ur comp or ram i guess... and also, i have the newest version ps2 (v.10) newer laser to read them better...

11. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

let me just say one thing- NO!!!

thank you
    to remove all variables, here's what i got!
    i have a 1.3g celeron
    80GB 7200 HD
    256 SD Ram
    8x DVD+R/+RW

audio cds- 48x
    data cds- 48x
    my ps1 and ps2 cd backups- 48x
    ps2 dvds- 8x
    dvds- 8x

AND EVERYTHING WORKS! IM SICK OF THIS DAMN MYTH!!! its been around since burners came out, and its just a myth, nothing more, ive tested it. and i dont care if you say there "backups" everyone knows were all making copies- NO ONE would wait like 5 hours to rip a ps2 game, and burn a ps2 game at 1x and take like 7 hours total for a "BACKUP". When i can do it it max speed in a total of about an hour- why the fusk do they make the drives go up to 8x if "there only good at 1x"- and you saying "burn audio cds at 1x too" BULL SHIT- wait 2 hours to burn a friggin cd! IM SICK OF THE MYTH.- ive made countless DVDs/VCDs/SVCDs/Audio and data CD/DVD- PS1 and PS2. EVERY THING WORKS!!!

12. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

PCSHATEME did you forget your medication today? calm down dude. i agree with you.. but you dont have to blast your mouth 100 miles a minute to prove a point. you are right about the audio cds at 1x thats bull crap, your a dumbass if you burn audio cds at 1x, your going back to the cavemen era if you are still burning audio cds at 1x... everyone.. say it together now "IT'S JUST A MYTH!!!"

13. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

ok, maybe i could have been calmer.... :)

14. vairox

vairox Regular member

takes me 45 mins to rip and burn at 1x....maybe it's your celeron that turns this simple task into 7 hours, get a real system LMAO

15. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

i have a real system, it takes me like 15 minutes to rip a dvd and like another 10 to burn. Its called your a nervous spaz who dosent want to use his drive at the speeds its meant to go at. Im laughing my ass off that your dumb enought to wait using 1x when your drive can go alot faster.

16. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

10 mins to make a dvd rip? like in divx? or dvd-r? then 10 mins to burn?

also when burning on 8x wich it higly imposible since only few manufacuters agree to make the silver 8x dvd+r... a simple 8x burn takes only 3 mins and not 10 as you say... any one with a simple math can do it...

60 mins at 1x
    30 mins at 2x
    20 mins at 2.4x
    15 mins at 4x
    3 mins at 8x

this one applys to full 4.38GB dvd

so hows that you make it in 10 then? im not here to say your a liar and get out of here... but im only asking how can you make a dvdrip in 10 mins since a normal operation of reading on a dvdrom 16x is atleast 9 to 10mb/s... while using a dvr takes lil bit longer...

17. Velesco

Velesco Member

Yea I agree. I always set my thing to max speed and it works fine. That was a pretty big rant though.

18. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

i meant it seems to take around that- i never realy clocked it. - also my drive is set to max- it can take more time on slower media

19. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

i got me my a05 for like 2 years now and i like burning at all speeds... i usualy burn my cd's at 16x... since thats my max on my a05... but my other burner does it on 32x.... on dvd's usualy 1x and 2x sometimes i put in the 4x.... i dont do + since my burner supports only -... making dvd-r from movies takes me 30mins to rip in dvd shrink and 30mins to burn at 2x... i cant burn it higher since my pionner 333 wont read dvd that made on 4x..... im thinking of getting new burner... i think ill buy the plextor or ill wait for the a07 that they say burns dvd-r at 8x...

20. Zidane

Zidane Member

I have seen this threat and i will share my point of view, i have burned alot of games from different systems and in different speeds, then why u must to burn below or equal to 4x?.
    It is true u can burn and actually play games burned with speed higher like 8x 12x and above but some of u guys may have noticed something like on ps2 u will hear an extra soft sound, your cd or dvd is being read obviously at higher speeds and that makes some sound that is not bearable for me i know it is soft but to me sound really matters so i can´t leave with extra sound garbage. Then thereis that concern about killing the lifetime of the ps or ps2 motor, same as overclocking some pc devices. Actually many people don´t care at all about this cause they just rise volume of home theater tv or wathever u got.
    Finally when u got a bad burn,it could be due to many many things so don´t blame speed first, try to have a nice defragmented hdd if u got 3 or more bad cds/dvds on straight.
    For a while now i just burned cds of dreamcast, ps1 and ps2 2x or 4x and they work "almost" like originals, and dvds of ps2 just 1x 2x same there... i found that some dvds didn´t work "nice" for me on the first time i made back ups they were lotr:return of the kings, suikoden III (us version), star ocean 3 till the end of time (jap)