1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can`t I burn 700 MB of data on a 702 MB CDR ?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by anthill, Oct 18, 2003.

1. anthill

anthill Member

I`ve tried nero 6.0.0.19 6.0.015 5.5 and always the same problem:
    Even though Nero recognises my medias as containing 702 MB burn will fail if I attempt burning above 690 MB. and I talking data burn and not audio burn.
    I`ve tried various settings:
    `No multisession` + `disc at once` gives me a failure in the last stage of the process - when the progress bar is at 100%
    `start multisession` gives me immidiately a message: `not enough space on the media unless you allow nero to finalise the cd" and then it does`nt matter if I approve finalisation or negate it, I get the same result : the burn IS succesfull but the cdr is NOT readable or even recognisable by any player.
    Is it perhaps because I`m using an old and slow burner ? (HP 8100+ X4 speed)
    Does anyone have any lead ?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Did you enable overburning?
    1. File --> Preferences
    2. Expert Features
    3. Check the box to enable overbuning
    4. Set the limit to like 90 minutes
    5. Burn slowly as per usual

3. cnlson

cnlson Member

just checked cdrfaq.org and here is what i found under that drive :

Some people have criticized the 8100i (same as Sony CRX100E) for being unable to write more than about 78 minutes on an oversized (e.g. 80-minute) blank. It appears that the Sony v1.0n firmware upgrade removes this limitation, but the upgrade was never made available for the HP drive. Some users have had success flashing the drive with a "hacked" version of the Sony firmware, but this can be dangerous (see warnings in section (5-24)). it also has links to the firmware and the hack to get it into your drive.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2003
  4. anthill

anthill Member

Thanks for responding, Praetor and cnlson,
    Praetor, though I had the overburn checked positive I had time set only to 84 min. Therefore I had another go at it, this time with the time set to 90 min. and speed X1 and the process just lasted for ever, jammed the windows consequently failed. Any other possible solutions ?
    Cnlson, do I understand correctly that the sony v.1 firmware update can perhaps work for the HP ? Well , I`m going to have a crack at it, as long as I can find the "hacked" version that you mentioned. I`ll search the cdrfaq.org myself but If you have any links - I`d appreciate that.

5. Praetor

6. anthill

anthill Member

Well, cnlson, updating the HP firmware to a sony firmware was the exact solution to my problem. now these 702 mb medias I use, can be burned with exactly 702 mb. Thanks a lot cnlson.
    The HP (which the system now identifies as Sony) does`nt allow me to overburn but it does allow now to maximum burn.
    I suspect I won`t be ever able to overburn with it, unless anyone has any new idea how
    it can be done...which I will gladly follow...
    Thanks Praetor, I will certainly visit that usefull link you posted to check from now on my medias and I`ll get back to you with the name of my media manufacturers.
    And thanks again - cnlson for that solution.

7. cnlson

cnlson Member

well you are welcome... i am actually not a noob as the thing under my name says. my first burner in 1998 was a 7200e hp which was the worst ever. after that a teac r55s from smart and friendly a plextor 820ti, a sanyo rw1 then i found the lite... a liteon 12101b, after that a liteon 40125s, a benq 4012eu, lg8400, liteon 52246 and a liteon 48161h the benq and lg suck and the benq is gone the lg is just used as a reader. so all my drives are liteon and i have overburned up to 730 on a disc the drives are flawless. you really should think about upgrading since burners are so cheap. the three i have now are 40x for $19 after rebate a 48x + dvd player for 69 and a 52x external for 49.. just make sure what you buy is liteon. go to cdfreak's liteon forum and find out where to find a cheap liteon rebadge. next one i get is going to be the dvd +-rw and cd burner that liteon when they go below $100.

good luck!

8. anthill

anthill Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2003
  9. anthill

anthill Member

Hi Praetor,
    cdr identifier v1.63 read my medias as:
    ATIP: 97m 15s 17f
    Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.82MB (79m 59s 70f / LBA: 359845)
    Any clue ? Thanks for the bother.

10. Praetor

Seems reliable enough.... a suggestion: try a different burning applicationt hat is a little more overburning friendly:

BurnAtOnce, a free, easy to use burning application specializes in burning CD Images and supports overburning. For more info visit http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/burnatonce.cfm

CDRWIN5, released by Padus (the makers of Padus Discjuggler) is not related to CDRWIN3 (made by Goldenhawk Technology and 'inventors' of the BIN/CUE format) is nonetheless an excellent all-around burning program. It borrows from Padus Discjuggler many advanced features that allow users to manipulate their CDs (especially CD images) before burning yet is still simple to use (although not as intuitive as Nero, it does hit a sweet spot for balance between simplicity and power). Specifically, CDRWIN5 allows users to specify CD Image types as well as sector sizes (i.e., Mode1/MOde2 and various sector sizes the two most common being 2048 and 2352). Additionally, CDRWIN5 does not warn you about overburning.... it just goes ahead and burns away. This is an excellent feature for overburners however it may be slightly disconcerning to beginners. More information on CDRWIN5 can be found at http://cdrwin.info/

Alcohol120 is the stable of many a protection backup. It is a standard program used to backup games with numerous forms of protection. For more info visit http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/alcohol120.cfm

DOnt forget it could just be your burner... those odler burners were hit and miss with overburnig.

11. anthill

anthill Member

Thanks, Praetor, for these apps which I`m immidiately off to test. Indeed, Their having failed must conclusively and exclusively shift the heat towards, as you`ve indicated - my HP.
    Which brings me Back to appologize for not having answered your post - Cnlson, straight away, which ensues from being busy following it: I`ve got a local offer for Liteon 52X32X52 for 45$. recommend ? (Bearing in mind that my being located in the oblivion of the middle-east incurs a shipment fee, to any non-local offer)
    Thanks again to you both.

12. Praetor

Thats a great price for that burner! (I've got me the ASUS 522452A, an excellent burner as well). :)