1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why can't I boot my comp and the post seems wrong!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dahero69, Mar 9, 2005.

1. dahero69

dahero69 Member

Hey guys I need ur help. FOr some strange reason my computer won't boot properly. As i turn it on the monitor stays blank, and when the post starts it takes a long beep probably 2 to 3 seconds then starts doing again over and over. I'm clueless about this. I've check most of my hard ware, and im not sure whats wrong. I check my graphics card (XFX Geforce FX 128 mb) but still not sure about that, im not sure about my ide cables. -_-, ahh! So can anyone please help.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Look for the beep codes in your motherboard manual. Try reseating the RAM sticks and your video card.

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

As stated above by GrandpaBW -- each different computer bios have a different code when The computer POST (Power On Self Test) sounds off -- your manual that came with the motherboard should at least give you the name of your Bios -- AMI, Award ,IBM , Mac have all a different code routine.

Count the Beeps !! • • some are long other are short -- For example in an AMI Bios -- 1 Long followed by 3 shorts means Memory Failure ! -- Where on an IBM Bios the same code means a Video (EGA) Display problem .

Your best source of info is your own booklet you got when you bought that PC.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2005
  4. dahero69

dahero69 Member

hey guys thanks for the help i just did wat u told and it has now been fix XD. Once again thanks

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You are welcome and glad you are up and running.

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

@ dahero69

You are one of the few that do bothered to come back in and say that everything is fine now -- ! Thank You !! I like that and am sure many in here appreciate a gesture like that !

Thanks to you too !