1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why cant I play burned DVDs on my old DVD player

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by startart, Aug 8, 2004.

1. startart

startart Member

wel...yes I know. It can not play copied DVDs. but Why??? what is teh difference between an original DVD and the one i burn myself? is it the same for PS2? whats is holding me from copying my game and play them in MOD-less station?
    answers should be as detailed as possible.

2. shooter

shooter Member

If I am not mistaken, many older DVD players ONLY support DVD-“D” format, while the DVD burners that you can buy and install in your computer will burn in EITHER -R, +R, or BOTH of these. (depending on the model you buy.)
    Most of the newer burners will burn in either of these formats. As far as I know, there are no DVD-D burners available for aftermarket purchase.
    So, you also have to have a set top unit that will support the disk format that YOUR burner burns. While they ALL support Factory made DVD-D movies, you also have to have one that will support YOUR burners media.(Which will be -R, +R, or Both.)
    Not to many set top units support both of these formats. MOST will support ONLY ONE of them, either the -R, or the +R disks. If you check carefully when you read the specs on the players, you will find them listed.
    I think Sony makes one that will play BOTH formats, and I just bought the Harmon-Kardon DVD player for that reason alone. It WILL support both formats +R or –R, with no problems at all. But it is not a cheap dvd player, mine cost $200 at circuit city last week.
    Even most of the cheaper $50 players sold at Wal-Mart etc.. however support the -R format, (it seems to be the most popular after market format supported.) So if you have a burner, and wish to back up your movies you really have no choice other than to update your set top DVD player to a compatible unit.
    Good luck to you,
    Shooter

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Standalone player can be picky with burned media. Some of the older players seem to have trouble with the +R format. Another quibble some very old players have is that they look for an AUDIO_TS folder on the disc (even though the folder is empty) so depending on your backup methods you may try adding this folder and see what happens.

Here's a great link to look up your specific model standalone and get the skinny on whether it likes burned media or not:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Media quality and burn speed can also have an effect. If you're using low quality media try switching to some of the good stuff such as Ritek G04/05, Verbatim Metal AZO, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden. Burning slower can help compatibiblty as well as keeping your drive's firmware up to date.

I've no personal experience with PS2 but from what I gather they can be picky about media as well. It may help to check out our PS2 forums (scroll further down the main forum page).

Hey shooter :)

4. shooter

shooter Member

Hey Nephilim!! (Still munching I see. :))
    After all your glowing reports on your fancy plextor burner, I just had to try one. I got it a couple of weeks ago from newegg on sale. I have since put my new Pioneer 07 in my back up machine.(LAUGH) It is a good burner, but that plextor is the cats ass!! I LOVE IT! That thing has so many tools and goodies with it, (you can even adjust the laser on it!!)Don’t know why you would want to..?? But I LOVE that I CAN!!(LAUGH)
    Been cranking out some Ridata 4X +R's I picked up at the same time for $38 per 100, and I am burning them at 8X!! Not a single pixilated one in the stack!! (I backed it off to 6X, and then 4X to compare it, but they all looked the same to me.) So I just let it smoke now.
    Only problem was, my set top would not play the +R disks..SO..of course I had to get another one.(GRIN) I picked up the Harmon/Kardon 22..AMAZING MACHINE to watch them on!!
    I think I have died and finally gone to DVD heaven!! Thanks a bunch pal for all the info.
    See ya on the boards.
    Shooter==>>

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You know Sampson's power came from his hair, I wonder whether Nephilim's knowledge is embedded in his cheese........Food for thought.....LOL....

A forgotten point ressurected
    Hats off to you Sir......

6. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Old technology man... just like everything else. Try playing MP3's on your old boombox and see what happens.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hee hee! I'm glad you like it as much as I do. I believe I could accurately be described as a "Plextor slut" :p

Yes!! As long as I can keep the Delilah's of the world away from my cheese I'll remain invincible! Havarti and smoked Gouda are especially empowering with good table water crackers :)