1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Can't I Select Another Drive For Install?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Aarbyy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Aarbyy

Aarbyy Member

Well, I'm waiting on help that never comes. All my tech savvy friends (okay, that's a grand total of two) are always busy. I need to install a couple of hard drives and yank an old one. My C drive is too full to defrag, let alone install Nero Ultra 7 on. So why does the demo I downloaded not allow me to install to the drive that I have some space on? The field where you input the directory to install to is grayed out, and, besides, doesn't wait before installing where it wants to. Is this something I can change?

Thanks in advance.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

has your C drive still got an installed version of Nero on it?

3. Aarbyy

Aarbyy Member

I wiped everything Nero (except the installation executable and a few empty folders I made to put Nero guides in and such) and then ran the clean Nero programs for both 6 & 7. I didn't realize that you need to run those before deleting the programs manually. But it did let me run them. It didn't seem to come up with much, Perhaps because I had removed a lot manually. I used a regcleaner, namely Jouni Vuorio's last free version. It gives you a fairly easy to grasp look at your registry, and, helpfully, a quick look at what the newest entries look like. And I run it's clean up (set to 'do it all') frequently. So I found everything Nero in there and deleted it. Everything I could see in both my drives named Nero and Ahead... gone.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

May I clarify? You have, on your system multiple, formatted, hard drives which are allocated drive letters by Windows, namely your "C drive" with your Windows operating system (which one?) and one or more other drives, and the Nero demo still insists on installing to C:\program files\Nero [etc]?

It may be that Nero absolutely must be on the same drive that holds your Windows system. Or not. Quite a lot of software insists on installing under a folder called "[Drive]:\Program Files". If the installer only finds one such on the system, no choice will be offered. So I suggest you make a "Program Files" folder on your second drive, put the installer in a folder also on that drive, and run it from there.

It may be a question of editing the letter C to some other letter in an installation dialog, or of browsing to the new folder.

When I first went from Windows 98 to Windows XP, I first of all had a dual boot system. I had my W98 on drive C and XP on drive D. When I was running XP, all the programs (with a few badly written exceptions) were quite happy to install to D:\program files\... including Nero (version 5 something). Later, when I deleted W98, I used the C: drive for documents, downloads, etc, with no problems.

What with software bloat, and the dropping price of hard drive space, the new-bigger-hard-drive-plus-running-out-space-on-drive-C scenario is quite a common one.

Depending on the relative sizes of the two drives, just "overflowing" from the small C drive to the much bigger D or E (or whatever) drive may not be the best option. Think about it. You buy a new computer in 2002. It has a "huge" 20 GB drive. in 2007 it is getting full. You go out and find you can buy a 250 GB drive for a good price. That earlier disk is slow and tiny by today's standards. It is also 5 years nearer the Hard Disk Graveyard. It would make better sense to migrate your old Windows partition across eg with Norton Ghost and junk the old drive.

If an HDD is too full to defrag, that is a situation that you need to rectify somehow. It may be that you can migrate documents, multimedia, whatever, everything that is not Windows or program files, to your new roomier disk. I have my My Documents on another drive for this reason.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  5. Aarbyy

Aarbyy Member

I was thinking along the same lines actually. But you focussed my mind on it. I have a folder in my D drive (120 gigs compared to my C drive of only 60 gigs) labelled Programs. I'm going to rename it to Program Files, which is what I have on my C drive and take it from there.

As for the rest of what you say, I concur. Trust me, I'm very aware of the precarious nature of my situation. I thought my buds would have come by by now to help me clean this up. (I can type okay and I'm great with English, but I'm not so great with computers, although I'm a genious to my newbie friends and family.) No one has any down time anymore.

I truly appreciate the feedback. Thanks. Later...

6. Aarbyy

Aarbyy Member

Well, I can't rename that folder in D drive. It has to remain what I first named it, namely 'Programs'. In truth, I'm worried that I might gain Nero 7 'and' a lot of other headaches from programs whose paths lead to a folder that no longer exists. I'm so tired of moving stuff around as it is. I don't even know what is where.

This will just have to wait.

Thanks again.

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

That's very strange, since you created it. Are you logged in as Administrator?

8. Aarbyy

Aarbyy Member

Well that's interesting. I don't know whether I'm logged in specifically as Administrator. It's never been an issue. I'm the only one on my pc. But I'll check. I don't have time right now, but if I'm lucky, I'll bump into some techie friends at work and run it past them.

I still feel that this is, at this point, neither here nor there. I simply need to get my new drives installed etc.. But I am enjoying the learning process. I was delighted when I was able to put my newbie friend onto a solution recently when we discovered that he couldn't follow me on his new laptop because he was being re-directed to sex sites at certain links. Among my suggestions, courtesy of learning from others over time, was to download BHO Cop and run it. Voila!

Later...

9. Aarbyy

Aarbyy Member

Is 'edit thread title' the same as 'edit post'? Because I didn't want to do another post. I just woke up and I'm not firing on all pistons yet. I didn't even need to shut down AfterDawn to check my login status. Yes, I'm Administrator and password protected. The message I get when I try to change the folder name is: 'Renaming, moving or deleting the name may make some programs not work properly. Are you sure you want to try?' Something like that. I then click 'yes'. Then the message is: 'Cannot rename Programs: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use'.

10. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Oh right. You already have some programs installed there? You could make (yet) another folder called "Program Files"...

11. Aarbyy

Aarbyy Member

That's a thought. Although someone else thought that having two folders named Program Files, even on different folders, might lead to problems.

However, It's become moot. I lucked out and a friend is going to come by tomorrow and put an end to this nonsense for me, thank goodness.

Thanks again.