1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Can't I Watch my PC on TV?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by sjmcc, Sep 24, 2007.

1. sjmcc

sjmcc Guest

Hi there,
    I have an ASUS 8800GTS (NIVIDIA) graphics card with a TV-Out port and thought it would be nice to hook it up to my tv. So off I go an buy my S-VHS to S-VHS cable and when I connect it, the NVIDIA settings programs detects there is a TV, and I can mange the settings for it. I can't, however, get anything to display on the TV. I have turned the TV resolution down to the lowest and up to the highest and still nothing. Anyone knowing anything would be great.
    Thanks

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

I have a card very close to yours. You might check to make sure the s-video cable is seated all the way. On my computer, the cards are so close together that the case sometimes gets in the way of the plug. I would check that first.

3. sjmcc

sjmcc Guest

Thanks for your reply
    I'm pretty sure it is connected as in The NVIDIA control panel for the card it can detect there is a TV connected. I have tried connecting via S-VHS and also using an S-VHS to RCA adapter, and can't get anything to display on the TV. While I hyave a good gfx, I have a terrible TV, a KONKA brand. Could the quality of the tv be the reason why no display comes up?
    Thanks again

4. ugc

ugc Regular member

No.

So long as your TV is not broken, you should get a picture. Do you have any other video equipment you could plug into the S-video on the TV to make sure it is working correctly? Like a DVD player, or VHS. Just for testing purposes only. Then let me know if it works.

*edit*
    Just so you and I are on the same page. You keep saying S-VHS cable, You are talking about a S-Video cable correct? I looked up S-VHS, and it only talks about VHS recorders, not any type of cable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-VHS

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  5. sjmcc

sjmcc Guest

I havnt had tiome to test yet but very good idea. Yes S-VHS i refer to IS the same S-Video cable so thats good.
    I'll let you know when I test
    Thanks again

6. sjmcc

sjmcc Guest

Hi there
    I finally managed to test. I plugged my DVD player into the TV and it worked very well. I can now only assume that I have some sort of configuration issue with software prohibiting the use of my PC on TV. I have been using TvTool and also the NVIDIA Control Panel to configure. Is there anything else I should be using, or are the exact setting I should be using known?
    Thanks

7. ugc

ugc Regular member

If the settings are correct in the NVIDIA Control Panel, you should be getting a picture. I have a NVIDIA card also, but I have never used that TVTool. I did try it once, but it didn't work for my needs.

Maybe contact the NVIDIA support and get input from them. Also they have a FAQ, you might try that.

8. sjmcc

sjmcc Guest

Good ideas, I'll get onto that and let you know the results

9. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

try tuning your TV to Channel 00

10. sjmcc

sjmcc Guest

Thanks for all your help
    I finally got it to work, albeit with terrible quality. I assume this is due to a very long cable, as well as more importantly a terrible tv. I am upgrading the TV however, so hopefully it will work better then
    Thanks for your help-Much appreciated

11. ugc

ugc Regular member

glad to hear you have it working.

Just to let you know, if you are running the s-video cable a really long distance, you can use a breakaway style cable without much signal loss.

this link is just an example of what I am talking about. You can buy one anywhere you like.

http://www.impactacoustics.com/product.asp?cat_id=707&sku=40022

12. sjmcc

sjmcc Guest

Thanks for all your help-cable looks awesome, I may well invest in one.