1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why can't I write slower than 4x???

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by showan, Nov 30, 2004.

1. showan

showan Regular member

Hey everyone.

I tried making a backup of Killzone today and I noticed that when I played the disc in my PS2 using the Swapmagic 3.3 disc with slide card, the intro cinematic was skipping a lot. The quality of the dvd-r I was using was not that great and I wrote the copy at 4x. I know a million people are going to tell me now "write it at a slower speed and use better media".

The reason I have been writing my xbox & PS2 games at 4x is simply because my writer doesn't seem to be letting me write at anything slower. I have a Liteon SOHW-1633S ( 16x 4x / 8x 4x / 16x / 2.4x + 48x 24x 48x ) DVD Dual drive. When I use a program such as DVD Decrypter or Nero I try to select the write speed as 1x. In DVD Dec it writes at 4x regardless, and in Nero the only speed I can select is 4x. Anyone know why I can't burn at a slower speed?

2. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

what media are you using?

3. showan

showan Regular member

the ones i was using before were some no name....mitsumi i think (NOT MITSUBISHI). and they were 4x compatible. I just got a new package today of TDK. Haven't tried them yet. I just find it very weird how I can't even choose if I want to write at 1x. If I write a PS2 game at 4x using good media like these tdk do you think i would still have problems where my cinematics are skipping? San Andreas copied fine at 4x. I've done about 7 xbox games on the Mitsumi dvdrs at 4x and not one problem with those.

4. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

was just wondering if you were using 8x media as a lot of 8x media don't support write speeds less that 4x, also some 4x media don't support slower write speeds

5. meta1

meta1 Regular member

I have had some 4x media that wouldn't write any slower than 4x!

Now using 8x Sony's I can write them at 1x,2x,4x,8x.

Just diffrent discs!

But I never have problems writing at 8x, no disc errors (probably due to a decent writer..).

6. showan

showan Regular member

that's retarded! So it's the discs not my burner?? If I try writing a PS2 game at 4x on this good media should it be fine then? or will it do the same thing with all the skips in the cinematics? Like I said all the xbox games and San Andreas that I have done to date at 4x are fine. Killzone is my first experience like this.