1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why can't you play ps2 game on the ps3 40 gig??

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by pspgamer9, Nov 24, 2007.

1. pspgamer9

pspgamer9 Member

why can't you play ps2 game on the ps3 40 gig?? If you know why this is please tell me. I really do not care why you can't play ps2 games on it cos if i would play a ps2 game i will play is on my ps2. I just wanna know what sony toke out to make the price drop from $650 - $399. Is it a chip or salfware. WHAT? it has to be something they toke out like a chip. Something that costed about $250.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  2. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

The 40 gig unit is a base unit. It was announced that there would be no backwards compatability on it. This is common knowledge.

3. vinny13

vinny13 Guest

No BWC. No card reader. 2 USBs instead of 4.

Accept for BWC all of this can be changed for nor more then $20 if it's really that necessary...

4. alex131

alex131 Guest

In the 80GB and the 40GB models, they took out the emotion engine (hardware compatibility). This was included in the original 60GB and 20GB models. The 80GB uses software emulation for PS2 games. The reason for the price drop on the 80 and 40 is because without the emotion engine, they use less hardware and production cost go down. Hopefully this answers your question.

5. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I don't understand why they couldn't have used software emulation on the 40 GB too though. If they could have made it an optional download on the PS store, I don't see how it would have added to production cost if they had already developed the software for the 80 GB.

6. alex131

alex131 Guest

7. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Then thats understandable, I just couldn't figure out why if the 80 GB had software emulation, why the 40 GB couldn't. But if the 80 GB doesn't then that makes since. It doesn't bother me though, I have a PS2 and a PS1, which I never play anyway.

8. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

When the 60gb PS3 came out in the UK i bought it on release day for £425 which is about $900 and it dosnt have the Emotion engine,so people in the UK have been running PS2 games through Software Emulation from day 1.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  9. alex131

alex131 Guest

The Euro 60GB PS3 doesn't have software emulation, just a different processing unit than the emotion engine.