1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why change OS on PS3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by drahrs, May 20, 2007.

1. drahrs

drahrs Member

Hi All, I have just got my PS3 and I noticed that a lot of people are talking about changing the OS on it and I wonder why you would want to do this.

As far as I can see the PS3 OS is pretty good and easy to use, so why swap over to lunix or yellow dog or what ever?

2. dpickett

dpickett Guest

we arnt "Changing" the OS we are simply adding another. For most people, adding linux will do you no good. Adding linux is like making a dual boot computer. You still need the game OS to play games (XMB) because the XMB contains "Hypervisor" this is the piece of software that talks to all the hardware on the PS3.

When you add linux this is how it goes Linux talks to > HyperVisor> which talks to the hardware. Adding linux you have a abilty to "dump" blueray movies to the harddrive, games to the harddrive, use the PS3 like a personal computer, play some emulators, and so on.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of installing linux, or you dont want to learn how to use linux (its not too hard) you can install a program that is called "Swiss Army Knife" SAK 1.0 its also called, this is a program that will dump movies and games to the harddrive.

As of right now there is no way to play those games from the harddrive.

any more ?s?

3. TheNick

TheNick Guest

That was really helpful dpickett, thanks man. I had the same question bascially.

that said: so no one can play games off the HD yet, fair enough. Has anyone got any emulators working? because if and when that happens, that might make it worth it for me to add linux.

Also, do i need to format my drive to make a partition for it at that time? i guess i can just back everything up to my ipod or something if need be, right? how much space does the partition need? I still use my dreamcast to play NES and some genesis titles, but it was always choppy with MAME and SNES ones. Given that my wii's VC pricing isnt ideal, id love to have this system emulate some of those and beyond.

4. dpickett

dpickett Guest

I heard there are emulators out there for linux, but myself, i am just getting aroundto installing yellow dog 5.0.1 on mine, i'm moving to a nother aprtment so i dont have time to sit down for a few hours a screw with my ps3 right now. I'd just google "linux emulaots" and give that a go. The more i learn the more i'll share

5. TheNick

TheNick Guest

Fair enough, good luck with the move.
    Ive already found/read about some MAME and SNES and such emus for linux, anybody else here gotten any of them working yet?

Itd also be cool to run the old Lucasarts Scumm games (Monkey Island) and point-and-click ones like Sam & Max, Maniac Mansion etc going, is that possible?

6. dpickett

dpickett Guest

thanks for the good luck

as far as the linux emu, i'm guessing here but if its says it will work for linux, it WILL work on the ps3 linux. it would make sense to me.

sounds like you and i are going to befiguring this out together, we should swap psn IDs and/or emails.

i'll be installing linux yellow dog 5.0.1 in about week or so

7. TheNick

TheNick Guest

That's cool, itll likely be you first as i dont even know linux, so i really gotta see some emu's in action and working examples before i go through the trouble, though i will be registering a japanese PSN account soon thanks to your help...i heard there's a hot shots demo going, ill see what else.

I'm IrishNinja, feel free to add me, all i got going online is Ultimate Alliance (anyone play that?) and Resistance soon when im better at it, heh.

8. eze415

eze415 Member

whats the difference between linux, and yellow dog?

9. drahrs

drahrs Member

Thanks guys, that cleared things up - so perhpas I need to wait until you can boot games from the hard disk before I change.

10. MidnightJ

MidnightJ Guest

The reason i got Ubuntu Linux is because..

1) I can use a SNES Emulator and run SNES roms
    2) I can use firefox, which is easiar to use then the PS3 net browser.
    3) There is a lot of stuff you can do on Linux.