1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why convert DVDs to AVI, MPEG1 & 2, or SVCD formats?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gerry810, Apr 1, 2005.

1. gerry810

gerry810 Guest

Bundled with my recently purchased DVD-ClonerII software were DVD-AVI, DVD-MPEG, and DVD-SVCD programs. Would appreciate anyone telling me what the purpose would be for converting DVDs to any of those other formats.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Hi gerry810
    Those would be for the benefit of people that dont have a dvd burner. For burning on cd's, to make discs playable in most dvd players.
    As cheap as dvd burners, and media, have become,I dont really see the point anymore.

3. tenplus1

tenplus1 Member

Personally I use DVD to AVI so that I can burn 6 high-quality DVD movies onto a single DVD...

It saves me space and my Yahama DVX6600 DVD player can play DivX/Xvid/Mpeg4 files without any problems...

Oh yeah, and it comes in handy for storing a DVD onto a single CDr just-in-case you need to...

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

and i think but dont quote on this that people make avi for the size! its faster to download 700meg than a 8gig dvd!

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I quoted you on that he he ...Your right,it works good for file sharing :)

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi gerry810,

Another reason is that DVDCloner II is nothing more than DVD Shrink (a Free program) with a different cover. The "extra programs are that also - Freeware programs that they put another "face" on so that it lQQks like you're getting a lot for your money.

As long as you're selling "Free" programs that someone else is making, you might as well sell a lot of them.

Pete

refer to: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/140735

Check the links in Veblin's post

7. gerry810

gerry810 Guest

Hi Scuba Pete,

There is no question that for people as "back-up" literate as you, DVD Shrink and separate Decrypter and Nero for burning is a better deal that my newly purchased DVDClonerII. But for dummies like me, the $60 I spent for it is well worth it to me for the convenience of having the source DVD read and properly compressed (5 to 5 or 9 to 9)and then have the blank DVDR seamlessly burned--all in one operation with a couple of keystrokes. All that said, I truly appreciate your imput--and am very thankful that there is "AfterDawn" to come to with problems and for advice. Thanks again.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well if you would have bothered to read the link Pete provided you you would see that you basically paid for a proggy that actually use's Shrink to do all of its work. So you paid 60$ for a program that is already free, and Pete was just trying to help you out. As you will find out when it comes to copying a newer movie with the newest encryption that your 60$ program won't work. Then you will have to buy AnyDVD for another 39$ to keep using your program as easily as you like too. I'm pretty sure you won't feel it is well worth it when you try to copy RE2, The Forgotten, Little Black book and countless others. You did say your self that you were a dummy so you can continue to be one along with being hard headed and not listen to people who have been around along time doing this and know exactly what they are talking about (ScubaPete) and continue to throw your money away. Oh one more thing you should buy DVD Xcopy too.. :)

Good day

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Let the "Kid" alone BB -

He's made his point.

Doesn't want to read,

Doesn't wish to try, even one time, something that has been explained for 7 or 8 yr old kids to follow, the Guide in my sig for DVD Shrink.

Doesn't work for his cash otherwise he'd be much more careful about how he spends it. So as long as his parents dole out the cash, why not ? Were I in that position, I'd probably do the same and only try something else when I got bored.

Them that have it don't need a reason. Quality isn't a problem because Cloner II doesn't use the quality control factor which DVD Shrink uses automatically once set up.

You and me BB, there's lots of pple we can help - time is valuable isn't it ?

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I'm sorry Pete I am kind of in a bad mood today (sick) I probably shouldnt be on here because my patience with some of these people is wearing thin :)

I know gerry810 is new. He/she will soon find out the hard way I guess as we once did :)

gerry if you cant comprehend Petes guide I can suggest that you use the ScubaPete guide at my website (It has pictures and everything) It is very easy to follow my 13 year old daughter uses it to back up her DVD's all the time. :)

11. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Hi. Totally new to copying DVD and find the guides to be an invaluable source of information. Couldn't possibly figure this out on my own. However, a dumb question perhaps. What is the difference between DVDDecrypter and AnyDVD (besides cost) as far as encryption goes? Thanks and again, pardon if a dumb question.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Not dumb at all Misty.

DVDD physically rips the DVD's encryption while AnyDVD is a driver-type decrypter and works in the background.

There are times when the disc might have a scratch or a flaw where AnyDVD is useless and DVDD sails right through it. I keep both on my PC and wouldn't think about getting of either of them.

There is also another driver-type app called DVD43 - it is also free and has been recently upgraded to work almost as well as AnyDVD (about equal with DVDD) - You can get it here BUT BEWARE, some pple have had problems with it. I haven't but others have - then you would have to remove it.

http://dvd43.com/

Hope that clears it up a bit . . .

Pete

13. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Thanks for the reply. Got it. Again, great guides and help.

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

@ bbmayo - i hope you get well soon and i send my regards to you!

the dr jekyl and mr hide doesnt ring true...hehehe...

come back soon we miss the old bbmayo!

15. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ bbmayo: man i have the chicken soup a warming just to make you less sic

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Thanks all :)

Man I may need some of that soup.. I have never been sick for this long in my whole life (maybe old age is starting to catch up to me)LOL. I have had this crap for a week now, and I can't seem to get rid of it! My wife keeps telling me I need to go to the doctor, but I'm just an old stubborn fool. I guess if I'm not better by Monday I will have to take her advice. :)

@Rotary,
    Whats wrong with Dr. Jeckyl? LOL ;-)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  17. gerry810

gerry810 Guest

To BB (hope your cold is getting better) and Pete and all others that have tried to educate this 60 year old "kid" in the arts and science of copying DVDs, let me say that after visiting BB's website I will try to understand and use the alternatives suggested by you all. I regret having given the impression that I don't give a damn, as that is truly not the case. What it's all about is (as in a number of other technology related areas) not being as adept at such things as the 8 or 13 year olds that were mentioned. Keep in mind that just because THEY can do it--it must follow that I can do it. NOT SO!!! I'm still trying to figure out how to print out this thread without it running off the right side of the page. When I called myself a "dummy" I was not just being cute.

Now to get right down to the nuts and bolts. What software do you need to start the process--using BB's or Pete's approach? I know that you must have DVD Shrink. I "think" that you also have to have decrypter software soch as DVDDecrypter (DVDD) or AnyDVD. After installing the decrypter, is it a separate program that you have to return to when copying, or does it run in the background each session? And lastly, as to burning software, I already have "CopyToDVD" and "HP DVD" (came with my burner) and "CD Burner XP Pro." Must I buy Nero, and if so what specifically as they seem to come in suites that probably have a lot of stuff not needed?

I beg foregiveness for all past transgressions. I WILL try to learn this new technology. But keep in mind, I'm the guy that not that long ago joined a forum dealing with universal remote controls--and in a sub group how Model URC-8810B00 ("One For All")could handle ALL commands for my, tv, DVD, VCR, CD and tape players, and receiver. It required not only an initial programming of the remote, but the downloading of spreadsheets for a multitude of new commands. I'm sure that there are 8 and 13 year olds that would have had no trouble with this, but for me it gave me a huge headache--causing me to abandon the attempt--and I still use a minimum of 4 remotes.

18. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK there Gerry, fasten your seatbelt,here we go,

First, to do a DVD backup you need something to get rid of the encryption.
    DVD Shrink, which is free does it but not as well as DVD Decrypter, (DVDD) which is free OR AnyDVD, which costs $$$$.

Second, you need to have a program to encode the files and for the majority of the movies, compress them to fit on a single disc. It it also nice to be able to edit them to extract extras, trailers and unwanted sound tracks. DVD Shrink can do all of this. Nero also has a program called Recode2, which can do this and comes with a bunch of other programs also. As you have only seen Nero's name here and not in the first category, it means that to use Recode2 you also need a Decrypter (or ripper).

Third, in this final section we will put burning programs. they are DVDD, Nero and CopyToDVD.

SO,

For rippers we have:
    DVD Shrink (FREE)
    DVDD (FREE)
    AnyDVD ($$$$)

For processing we have:
    DVD Shrink (FREE)
    Nero's Recode2 ($$$$)

For burning proggys we have:
    DVDD (FREE)
    AnyDVD ($$$$)
    Nero ($$$$)

Seeing it this way, all you need to backup a DVD is:
    DVD Shrink (FREE) to rip
    DVDD (FREE) to rip on those rare occasions when DVD Shrink has trouble.

To encode, edit (if desired) and compress (when needed):
    DVD Shrink (FREE)

To burn to disc:
    DVDD (FREE)

Check the guide in my sig, which says Shrink/ Decrypter.

That guide will provide the programs with pics. all the settings, no training required and Hey, you can keep your wallet in your underwear . . Hey, hey there, don't laugh, it's where I keep mine . . . (Lol), . . . (Got Ya) :)

Not to worry, it will answer your question about DVDD, whether it has to be on or off (Off, after it has been set.).

Follow my guide and in no time, you'll be the parent of a bouncing baby backup. :)

Enjoy,

Pete

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  20. gerry810

gerry810 Guest

I will definitely try my best, and promise to report back. Hope that I can call upon you if (or when) I screw up. Thanks again!!