1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did you start using Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by ireland, Aug 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

In today's open source roundup: What got you started with Linux? Plus: IBM's Linux only Mainframe. And why you should skip Windows 10 and go with Linux

Linux has become quite popular over the years, with many users defecting to it from OS X or Windows. But have you ever wondered what got people started with Linux? A redditor asked that question and got some very interesting answers.

SilverKnight asked his question on the Linux subreddit:

I know this has been asked before, but I wanted to hear more from the younger generation why it is that they started using linux and what keeps them here.

I dont want to discourage others from giving their linux origin stories, because those are usually pretty good, but I was mostly curious about our younger population since there isn't much out there from them yet.

I myself am 27 and am a linux dabbler. I have installed quite a few different distros over the years but I haven't made the plunge to full time linux. I guess I am looking for some more reasons/inspiration to jump on the bandwagon.

read more here
    http://www.itworld.com/article/2972587/linux/why-did-you-start-using-linux.html

ANSWER THE QUESTION

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

cos I'm cheap.. duh !!

aldan likes this.
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

yes you are!!!!

4. Mez

Mez Active member

I am screwed either way and I am about as cheap as the both of you. I am still a windows guy because I am LAZY and I have and still use considerable legacy software. I can't afford to replace all of that. 10 will be the last straw for me. I have turned off automatic OS upgrades not to get that POS foisted on me. I will go with a freebee.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

i too am lazy.and cheap.lol

ps355528 likes this.
  6. ddp

everybody knows that!!!!!

aldan likes this.
  7. aldan

aldan Active member

up yours too.hows spring going in the east?LOL

ps355528 likes this.
  8. ddp

naughty, naughty, being disrespectful of a moderator doing his job. spring is not going to be here for another 5 weeks, you aught to know that. going to be bloody cold out tonight with wind chill of about -40c.

9. aldan

aldan Active member

holy crap,this is why i like living in the west.always been disrespectful of you d.hahahaha.love ya tho.

10. Admiral_Smith

Admiral_Smith Newbie

To try to keep things under control............
    yup. yup. I guess that means administration stuff which sucks.

11. IP-Predator

IP-Predator Newbie

It was mostly born out of a hatred towards Microsoft, as opposed to what they are doing with Windows these last few years. It's going downhill and they don't give a f*** about their consumer level customers. So I started looking into Linux.

I really only use Windows on my gaming machine for obvious reasons, and then I have a Windows server as well.

Next to this I run Linux on my laptops and a desktop as well. I prefer Debian distros and have of course tried Ubuntu, but eventually settled with Linux Mint. I am also toying around with Zorin, though it contains some bugs.

Finally I run CentOS on a server to test the performance and I must say it just work.

Linux is a great free alternative, although it takes a little getting used to. The greatest turnoff is if you need a specific tool for Windows that cannot be emulated on Linux with Wine or similar emulators. Next to that, there are loads of freeware that can do the same job as the Windows tools you know.

The most annoying lack is perhaps Skype, since it's hopelessly outdated for Linux and Microsoft don't care to update it any more. They don't even seem to reply to complaints on the Skype support forum either.

12. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I found skype worked a treat.. but that was around 4 years ago on an antique running ubuntu 10

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I love Linux, and if I could get a better selection of games, I would dump Windows in a second and never look back. I'm a school teacher, and I even once tried to get the entire campus to move to open source, but Microsoft has its claws so deep into the system that I never had a chance. So yes I still use Windows on my gaming computer because I can't purchase the games I play for Linux and sadly Wine isn't effective enough to allow them to be played under Linux. Did I mention the price? :D

14. hogger129

hogger129 Member

I dual boot between Linux Mint 17.3 and Windows 10. The reason I like Linux is I like that I can customize everything to my liking. I only keep Windows around for some things that do not work under Linux.

15. Angelina Franklin

Angelina Franklin Newbie

I started using Linux as soon as I found windows frustrating and insecure and since the day I got into the programming field, I realized it as my first crush lol

16. DanyPerez

DanyPerez Member

I haven't yet made the shift to Linux 'cos I'm lazy. But I am also cheap, and frustrated by Window$ unreliability and increasing resources voracity. When all these combined forces reach the critical mass, the world will have a new linuxer.

17. n01z

n01z Newbie

Open Source.

Unix.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.