1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do games get released online for downloads?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Shredder7, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Shredder7

Shredder7 Member

Hello guys,

I have a very basic question. Why do the games for PS2 get released on the internet by groups such as, ECHELON? I mean, these guys were needed back in the days of the Dreamcast days, when it was not possible for everyone to rip the DC games. Nowadays, if I have read correctly, the PS2 games could be ripped and burned by anyone with a DVD-R(right?). Even those who pirate these games and not have the originals, can just rent the games, and burn them, themselves(right?). Then why do these renouned crack groups release the games, especially some with patches and stuff. Just wondering, because seems like I'm missing some piece of info here. Thank for reading and hopefully answering.

2. maulucci

maulucci Member

I think that they do it b/c some people cant just rent games for some reason(ex. too young, no credit card, no money to rent, no way to get to the rental store, or maybe no rental store near them) so it is convenient to just set your computer to download when you are at school, sleeping or at work. also they alot of the time get ahold of games before they are released to the public, and it is always nice to be the first one on the block playing a new game, let say for example GTA: SA. I was playing it about 2 weeks before its release. I hope this answerd your question!

3. Shredder7

Shredder7 Member

Thank you very much for your answer maulucci. The primary reason why I asked this question is because I was concerned about not being able to burn my games by ripping them off myself. Some of the old games, such as, NFL Blitz is not even available online, so that is why I wanted to make sure that I too have the power to burn these games on my own.

BTW, with the PS2 scene developing, isn't Sony working on making some anti-burn steps? Again, my concern is the same, if I were to buy new games, would I be able to rip them and burn them myself? Once again, thank you for your reply.

4. maulucci

maulucci Member

no problem, the best way to rip your games is to get DVD-Decrypter from their website(it is free) then go to mode, iso and then read. pick your spot you want to save the iso to and rip it. when that is done just go to mode, iso write, and pick the iso you just ripped, then insert your dvd-/dvd+r and hit the burn button. this is the best way to do it and I have never had a coaster or bad burn. burn at around 2x speed if you can as ps2 read the disks better that way. and don't put labels on your disks as it can cause playback problems.

as for the question about sony making anti-burning games. I don't think that can ever happen as people are to clever and can always find a way around it. but they are going to have blue-ray disks insted of dvds for the ps3, so until people get burners for that, I think copying will slow right down.

5. Shredder7

Shredder7 Member

Thanks once again, maulucci. So you are pretty much saying that I could pretty much copy any PS2 games, at least so far, right? With the exception of the online games of course, for which I would need a patch, right? Also, what about the protection on the EA games, I heard something about that. Also the PS2 games that are on CDs, could also be burned directly to a CD-R, right?

BTW, what kind of a mod system do you have for your PS2? I'm thinking of the MOST optimum method to boot backups, using the SwapMagic. Thanks again for your reply.

6. maulucci

maulucci Member

I use a flip top and swapmagic. it is the best! the only games you can't copy are the dvd9 games but there are very few of them out there right now. if you do a search for them you will find post on what games they are. the only one I cared about was madden 2005 collectors edition as it is a dvd9 and can't be backed up to a normal dvdr. but the non-collector version of madden2005 is a normal dvd5 and can be backed up. so I just lose out on the retro games and stuff on the collectors disk. cd based games can be backed up and played using the cd disk of swapmagic.

as for online games, is is easy to patch them yourself. you need to get a copy of Disc ID Utility V0.2A and burn it to a cdr, then run it in your modded ps2, it will ask you to enter an origanl online game (pick one that you own but don't plan on using much) you need to own it b/c you cant be online with the id and someone else is online with the same id. when you put in that game, your ps2 will tell you the disk ID. copy that down as you will use that id for patching all your ps2 online backups! It doesn't matter if it is the same game or not( I use my espn NHL id for all my games, as I will never play that game on-line) when you have gotten your ID you need to open Image Patcher V1.6. open the iso file for the online game you ripped. then scan the file, then verify the file, then enter the id # you got and hit patch. it is that simple. you would then open dvd- decrypter again and write the iso to your dvd. and it is ready to play.

you can download all those programs by searching google for them or going to this site http://ps2nfo.com/on-line.html.

I hope this helped