1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do I need to burn at 1x or 2x?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by armagan, Apr 17, 2005.

1. armagan

armagan Member

Hi. Every FAQ I've read about burning PS2 games says that I need to burn the game at 1x or 2x, the slower the best. I couldn't grasp the reason behind this. I'm asking this because somehow I couldn't burn a game at these speeds, Nero did only let me burn at 4x or 8x, no 1x or 2x option in write speed dropdown list. I burned the game at 4x and it seems to work fine. Can you enlighten me about this?

2. tbone1980

tbone1980 Member

I too would like to know why this is mentioned everywhere. And how come when I tell DVD Decrypter to burn at 1x it says it burned it at 2x anyways?

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i burn at 2x with no problems. The faster you burn, the more likely you will get errors on your disc.

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

The faster you burn a disc, be it a game, movie, anything, the more "micro" errors you burn onto that disc. The playstation laser is very picky. Some games you can get away with faster burns. Decrypter will let you drop down to 1x. I thought I had seen somewhere on afterdawn some graphs which showed the difference in errors using the same burner and the same media but at difference speeds.

5. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

"Real" discs are pressed metal, mechanically made media. The presses are precise. Burning is a sloppy method to recreate the process, using dyes that can have pits and grooves "burned" into the chemical, making an illusion of how a "real" disc would look and work. If you compare a pressed media and a burned media under a microscope, you can see that the pressed media is fairly precise, while the burns are fairly erratic, and it's almost a miracle that burning works at all.

6. armagan

armagan Member

Thanks alot for the replies. Now I know why.

7. HGC

HGC Member

I use Alcohol 120% and I set the burn speed at maximum. I've never had any problems, or bad burns.

8. faustx

faustx Member

burning too fast is a myth ,doesnt really matter atall anymore (this was WAY back when burn to fast could make a music cd skip , but this doesnt happen anymore with new burners)
    but better save then sorry :p

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  9. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

its not a myth. burning above 4x creates a lot of coasters.

10. xcp

xcp Member

if I burn at anything below 4x then my burn doesnt work.

11. faustx

faustx Member

then get better media/burner

12. tonikeys

tonikeys Member

I'm a noob when it comes to burning ps2 games as I only had mine modded a few days ago. Wasn't aware that you had to burn them at slow speeds and have burnt ALL my games at X12 speed on X8 media. Have burned 36 games so far and all of them work. Granted, I haven't played all the games right the way through, but so far....so good.

13. paddymail

paddymail Regular member

sly, the only coasters i have had was when i took peoples advice on here when I was first trying out backing up ps2 games, because i was burning at 1 or 2 speed. since I've learnt a bit more about this topic and have now been burning at 8 speed the only coasters i've had have been when the iso needed to be rebuilt. then after rebuilding the iso using cdvdgen i've burned the rebuilt iso at 8 speed too, and all had been fine.
    I think the probelms some people have with burning at higher speeds has been more to do with their computer specs and dvd burner. there are a lot of unknown quntities when it comes to backing up a game.. just try different speeds and media and if you find something that works stick with it!!
    since i started burning at 8 speed using ritek g05 dye 8x discs i have had around 60 successful backups with no problems... in fact they work better than the originals in most cases because they load faster.
    If I had stuck to some peoples views about burning at 1 or 2 speed i would still be tearing my hair out and getting coasters galore!!!

hope this has helped somone

14. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

also dont forget that backing up a backup is what some people do and in this case errors will be relicated on your new backup that the first backup had along with some new ones that will occur when burning.

15. MarkPS2

MarkPS2 Regular member

Im new to burning ps2 games etc but I burnt a few games at 1x speed & 2x speed and they had slow loading and freezing probs. I tried the same games again same media etc but changed the burn speed to x4 and they work perfect. I think it depends on the game but whatever works for you, stick with it.

16. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

It's also down to personal perference ;)

-Mike

17. carlrx7

carlrx7 Member

i rip my orignnal to iso @ 2x and burn the iso @ 2x using the ricohjpnr01 media. not one coaster.

any software out there that i can use to compare the orginal disc to the iso i made and the iso to the burned disc or the orginal to the burned? i want 1:1 100%

carl.

18. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

You mean so that you don't need to mod your machine to play them?
    When you make a backup there are certain sectors that don't get burned. These sectors are what is needed to boot them up, thats why Swap Magic and chips are needed.. to boot them up. ;)

-Mike

19. carlrx7

carlrx7 Member

i know about the boot problem. i have sm 3.3, works like a champ, but am getting tired of swapping. im thinking about geting a dsm4 pro perhaps.

just looking for software to compare burns to orignals.

20. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Well... remember that Modchips have a higher chance of putting a strain on the laser.

-Mike

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005