1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does a $25.00 player play these hard to burn DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jerryd3, Feb 3, 2005.

1. jerryd3

jerryd3 Guest

How come all of these newer movies play fine in a cheap DVD player but when we try to back them up they are giving us so much trouble? What is different in the player than Shrink or De-Cryptor?

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

DVD players skip over the bad sectors because they are told to by the disc. When you rip, it tries to get all the data on the disc regardless of what the disc wants. These bad sectors cause these rippers to hang and do all kinds of fun stuff! That's the story in a nutshell.

3. jerryd3

jerryd3 Guest

Sounds like we need software that "looks at the dvd" like a player does and if there are bad sectors, skips them as well.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

There is software that cracks all this new encryption. I use AnyDVD in the background with DVD Shrink ripping/compressing. It works great, haven't run into a problem movie yet. I ripped The Forgotten with DVD Decrypter and couldn't shrink it with DVD Shrink until I used reauthor mode and set the start frame past the bad sectors (the part in the very beginning that is just nothing). If you do that, you should have no problem.