1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why does dvdr play only 1st session

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by cynn, Apr 1, 2007.

1. cynn

cynn Regular member

I recorded a daily half hour show on internet using WM (wic recorded in WMV).
    Example Monday, Tuesday, Wed
    I then used WinAvi to convert to DVD, and burned to dvdr disk
    When I play on my computer, the Mon, Tues, Wed sessions can play.
    When I play on my standalone dvd player, it automatically plays the Mon session, and the Tues n Wed session is nowhere to be found/seen.
    Pls help because at the moment I have to use 1 dsik for 1 session so it is really wasting all my disk (I use Mitsubishi n Verbatim).
    One sesson is 1.3GB
    Help pls

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Because your computer can play non-compliant DVD Video files in the order they were placed on the disc. If there is erroneous or missing navigation information on the DVD your player does not know what to do when the first segment ends. Something has to be there to tell it to go to the next segment.
    Apparently this is happening during your WinAvi conversion and burning process. Check your steps.

3. cynn

cynn Regular member

@fastfrank, can u help me out....I m not so well versed in this area.
    When I play on standalone, it automatically plays the 1st session.
    So if I want it to go to the 2nd and 3rd session, does it mean I have to create a menu? Oh dear,howdo I do that? Is there an easier way?

4. cynn

cynn Regular member

I should also inform you that I convert each file. Then when I need to burn to dvdr, I can only "add" the file by using the icon "data" and not image. Has this anything to do with my problem?

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I don't have WinAvi so I can't give you a step-by-step answer. I think I had it once but had problems so I dumped it.

My favorite program is VSO's ConvertXtoDVD I find it simple to use and reliable. It's not free and the trial leaves a watermark.

They do have a free older version(well they don't, but I still do) that worked pretty well. Give it a try and see what you think. I've got it at my website so you can download it from here:

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup.zip

6. cynn

cynn Regular member

Thanks,I will try n get back to you with the results

7. cynn

cynn Regular member

I downloaded the trial (with the watermark).
    When I wanted to burn using the "burn dvd", as soon as I clicked onto one file (1st session), I had to click "ok" n it burned automatically. It wouldn't allow me to add in my 2nd and 3rd sessions....If I added 2nd session, the 1st session will not be there.

I tried with my own Sonic, this one allows me to add in all 3 sessions when I press "burn data". However, I still have the original problem as I did with WinAvi, it will only play 1st session on my standalone.

What shall I do?

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member