1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHY DOES IT FREEZE

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jackiel86, Nov 26, 2003.

1. jackiel86

jackiel86 Guest

i use dvd shrink to encode my dvds and then nero to burn them i play them in my dvd player fine for half of the movie then it just starts freezing why does it do that?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

jackiel86, A couple of things could cause freezing. Most common is bad or cheap blank media. Another cause may be over compression. Since you are using shrink, you must know how it works. If you are backing up full disc and compression is below 60% that might cause freezing and picture blocking (pixelation). Always try to get the least amount of compression possible. You usually have to do movie only backup on long movies. If you are doing movie only and compression isn't bad, its probably the media. Jerry

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

As Jerry has quite rightly stated it could be numerous things but it is more than likely the media and/or burn speed.
    What media did you use , at what speed & with what burner ?

4. jackiel86

jackiel86 Guest

I USE OPTODISK DVD-R 1-4 X AND I BURN IT AT 2X AND THE BURNER CAME BUILT IN MY COMPUTER I HAVE A SONY VAIO RS100

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi jackiel86, If you want to backup movie only with shrink, open the movie disc as before (all the disc files should show). Then click re-author button.(a second window opens just like the 1st one).Right click in first window and select all files. Then drag them to second window. Now you can play each line of the files and see what is there. Just delete anything you don't want.(menu,trailers,FBI warning screen) and uncheck any foreign audio you don't need. As you do this the compression gets better(less) and the better your final backup will be.When done removing things, click backup in second window. Burn back to blank dvd with Nero as before. Jerry

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

About those Optodisk blanks. I haven't used them but I seem to have read that they cause some problems. I now use Ritek media which everyone claims are very good. Jerry

7. thedazzla

thedazzla Member

jackiel86, i've had the same problem so i've now switched to dvd2one instead of dvd shrink just minutes ago so whether or not its better we'll have to wait and see. also the media i was using is Princo and im burnin at 4x could that be my problem or is this a good quality blank dvd?

8. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Question - Did you add a label to the disc. DVD -R discs according to some forums seem not to like discs with labels and part way through the movie have performance issues.

9. thedazzla

thedazzla Member

yeh i usually add a label on them using iso level 2 as it gives up to approx 31 chracaters. another question is that is it better to use + or - dvd's?

10. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

The media and brand that you use is dependant on the DVD burner that you burn on and its firmware. Some units burn better on + R others burn better on - R. Knowing the manufacturer of the media (not the name on the disc) helps in weeding out the cheap media.

11. thedazzla

thedazzla Member

well i have no idea who makes the media besides the name given of Princo. my burner is the pioner 106 and i use nero 6 for burnin. i've never used a dvd+r before? would it be better to try one instead of changin how i burn a dvd?

12. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

thedazzla
    The Pioneer 106 is a dual format burner. So you are able to use either format. It is wise to search the forums for other Pioneer owner's media experience. I own an HP +RW burner whose options are limited but works well. As for discovering who makes the media a program such as DvdInfoPro works awesome in discovering who manufactured your media. Then you can search the forum for the good, the bad and the ugly media. From what I have learned the name on the box does not really tell you were it came from -for example Verbatim uses around 7 different manufacturers for the Verbatim media brand.
    Its kinda like buying a Jag and finding a Ford engine under the hood.

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Jackiel86, If you do change media format (+R -R)
    Make sure your player can play that format. Not all stand alone players are dual format. So check that 1st. Jerry

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi jackie, I did Pearl Harbor and it would freeze, jump etc, then finally crash in my PS2, another coaster!! Then I got my $65.00 Ebay DVD player and my coaster played fine! Traced the problem to a defect on the original disc. Make sure you use good media to record on of the correct format and check your source disc carefully. I always clean anything I'm going to record. Your original discs should be handled carefully. Today I put a copy in my PS2 and when the tray closed the disc slid out and jammed the tray. hehehe. Thats why we back these things up!
    Hi Jerry!
    Ive got a question Think I'll post it.

Frank

15. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Frank, what thread you posting it on or is it a new one. Jerry

16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Jerry, I posted my NERO question here at newbies.
    frank

17. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I prefer to use [bold]Ritek G04 X4 'Grade A'[/bold] DVD-R myself.I don't think they cost a lot more than Optodisc , if at all.