1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Does it take Me so long?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by AmmaMan85, Jan 23, 2007.

1. AmmaMan85

AmmaMan85 Member

Why does it take me so long to back up DVD's? It took me 10 hours to back up Me Myself and Irene yesterday. I have an older computer, but 10 hours is crazy.

I have a Pentium 4 1.3GHZ, RAM-256, 40gig HD with 12 gigs free, I normally burn with DVDShrink and AnyDVD in the background.

I know its an old computer (4years), but should it be taking this long?

2. twisty1er

twisty1er Member

MMMmmmmhhhh, maybe because its old technology!!!! Just joking, I have backed up a dvd in 4 hours using a pentium 2 at 400mhz with 80 gig of space, so something isn't right with yours. I would suggest, if your under windows XP try to disable the firewall and disable your viruscan software and if that doesn't help much, you can also try a virus scan on your hardrive, and then defragmenting the drive. Pentium 4 10hours is crazy!! and if that doesn't improve your burning speed for a last resort backup all your important DATA on your computer then format the drive then reinstall windows XP because to me it looks like your up to the extreme with all types of viruses that are using up all your coputer processing power hope this helps
    ONe

3. candycab

candycab Member

You may want to make sure DMA is enabled, if its running in PIO mode it will be incredibly slow when ripping. Something like 1,200 kb/s vs a much higher rate.

This can be found in the device manager in the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Sometimes windows throtles the read rate down the when it has a problem reading some discs, usually windows never enables DMA agin on its own and this can go unnoticed until you need to read a large file like DVDs use.

This may not be youre issue but its definitly worth checking, also use a drive with at least 10 gigs free if you can and keep the drive defragged as this will give you optimum performance, a full drive is a surefire way to make shrink very slow.

You may want to checkout some of the tweaks in the DVD shrink guide here on the site as they can help bring youre speed and quality way up.

Good luck and happy shrinking ;)

4. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

ammaman
    my spec are very close to yours. way to long
    rip time normal 20-35min,encode 2-7min, burn for me about 45min. give or that a few min or so.
    check you dma,are your disc clean read and follow up on the other replys

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  5. Mez

Mez Active member

Because your are writing gigs of data, the speed is HD dependent. I have a III @ 1.7 with a fast disk and burner. It takes me about 20 min to burn an image and about 8 to finish. Buy an other disk. You may be fragmented as well. You need a faster bigger disk. I just got mine off the I net for less than 150 with the shipping. That is a 500 g very fast disk.

6. candycab

candycab Member

That is not entirely true, while you may get some small speed increase system wide from a faster drive the problem with youre logic is that even the slowest 5400rpm drive made will still most likely have a faster read/write speed than the fastest optical drive to date. Whwn encoding on the fly youre speedy new HD will have little to no effect on performance.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

How fast a disk spins has nothing to do with how fast a disk writes. When I describe a car as being fast I am not referring to the engine RPM. Fast disks usually refer to the disk I/O.

I was pressed for time when I wrote the last entry. What I mean by fast is not how fast the disk spins but how fast it writes. Mine will write 50 megs/sec. Obviously, there is some processing slow down otherwise it would only take a minute to write the DVD to a hard disk. I was trying to illustrate that a computer with half the processing power with a HD that writes fast can do the job in 1/50th the time. That was the original complaint. It was taking 10 hrs to back up a DVD which is crazy slow. AmmaMan85 does not need a new computer just an extra HD. I would suggest a large SATA. SATAs write fast and are cheaper and easier to manage than the other kinds of HDs that write that fast. On the web you can find a 100g for $100 and a 500g for $150. The 500g is a much better buy. The bigger ones are often faster because they have more platters to get the space.

I forgot to mention... You need to buy a SATA HD controller when you buy an SATA HD. All the disks that write real fast do not use the garden varity IDE controllers that have limited I/O. I would also recommend buying one that handles more than one disk and supports RAID. I got one that handles 4 drives for about $30. You may want to swap out your main drive with another SATA after you have been using the faster drive. MAXTOR makes cheap large SATA HDs. I hope they hold up. I now have 2 of them.

I would also empty your trash bin and defrag your disk. 10 hrs is crazy slow! That is less than 500m/hr. I suspect your trash bin has 6 or more gigs and you do not have 4.5 gigs of contiguous space. That could seriously slow down a hard disk.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  8. candycab

candycab Member

I dont want to derail this thread too much as thats not cool :) but my point is that even through youre hd will write at 50mb/s that does no good if the incoming data flow is alot less. Most people will never see DVD Shrink run faster than 10.000kb/s and thats still only about 9mb/s. Its going to come down to how fast the data can be pushed through the rest of the system, so hd performance shouldnt yield any massive gains here.

I only refered to a 5400rpm drive since thats the old standard and of course it will be the slowist performer for the most part, though if the pc is only four years old Im sure its got 7200rpm drives in it anyway.

I would be willing to bet there are other issues causing his slow performance since much like twisty1er, Ive used PII 400s all with period hardware that get the job done in less than 3 to 4 hours.

Still a new fast hd definitly couldnt hurt any and they certainly arent expensive these days [let me just say newegg], just dont expect it to work miracles beacuse it probably wont :)

9. Mez

Mez Active member

I agree 10 hrs is a crazy time the slowest HD around will not take that long. There is something wrong and there could be a dozen causes. The HD is small, an obvious possible problem is the disk has far less than 12 g and the HD is badly fragmented. The contents of the trash bin is counted as empty but not. If the virtual memory is not in a permenant swap file that would REALLY kill any process. The computer may be loaded with infections, etc.

10. Agent0008

Agent0008 Regular member

Not to say this will help your problem but 256 RAM is puny, I have 1.5 gig which makes a difference. My Daughters computer was running with 512 I bumped it to 1 gig and it improved it's performance.

Make sure you have it running at full speed and not just running in the background. I know there is a box that has it run in the background for multitasking under preference and I think there's another when you click on back up.

The last time it took me 10 hours was when I was making a SVCD on a Pentium 2 computer with 256 max RAM.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007