1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does just installing games slow down a pc?

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by ha9981, Apr 2, 2007.

1. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

like my harddrive space is a lot. awesome pc and everything. y should installing it slow down windows and all softwares!

2. corn

corn Guest

Its trying to install something, which uses alot of RAM, and also you are surfing, chatting etc. etc. Also, its not good to multi-task while installing, thats how you get corrupt files.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  3. majdijr

majdijr Member

With SATA HardDisks you shouldnt have that kind of issue ...Anyway you might still have that problem even with newest hardware due to the large portion of data being copied from the dvd to the harddisk, this consumes a lot of RAM and HardDisk writing process (which is a heavy process)

4. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

Interesting question but I think ha9981 means, brand new PC is nice and fast. Brand new PC with lots of games installed is not as fast. Not PC is slower while installing games, that's kind of obvious.
    Could be wrong here!

5. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

i had a brand new pc i installed one game and it slowed down. even though the pc is sooo high end. it slowed down normal usage of pc. i mean it only took some hd space of like 200gb then y does it slow down a brand new pc?? even though the game is not running the pc has gotten slower.

6. neurokasm

neurokasm Member

you could try defragging, etc. or try editing startup items when the computer boots. alot of crap gets installed and automatically starts up when windows does, even if you're not using it. i noticed that my machine would run a little faster if i disabled unnecessary startup items.

7. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

no i mean right after installing the game. i got the pc like 2 days ago and shit. its like high end pc. when i uninstalled it than it was back to normal.

8. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

Listen to neurokasm. Try installing the game, defrag the hard drive and try again. It may be a swap file issue and the defrag should fix it.
    Over time as the HD fills it will slow but that's just the way it works. It should not however be perceptibly slower if you install a game that requires only 200MB (You say 200GB which would definatly be the issue but I'm assusing you mean MB)
    Also if the machine is only 2 days old and has only one game installed run the virus checker with up to date definitions just to rule that out.