1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why does my burns take 2 1/2 hours? please help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DJLAD, Feb 17, 2005.

1. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

i just recently started burning dvd's and i would like to speed up the process if i could. my computer is not that old, why is it taking 2 1/2 hours to burn a single dvd?

2. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

i have a sony dw-u12a drive.
    1gb of ram
    2.66 ghz p4 processor
    300 gb maxtor hard drive
    120 gb samsung hard drive

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Check your IDE controllers in your device manager. See if they are set to PIO instead of DMA. Change to DMA if needed. PIO will slow down the burn process quite a bit.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  4. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

i just checked and they are set to ultra dma mode 5

5. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

What kind of dvd's are you burning? Under some circumstances, 2 1/2 hours is not bad. I'm just finishing up a transcoding job that's run nearly 4 hours.

6. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

im using philips dvd+r 1-8x.
    ive other people say that it should not take that long, it should be like 40 mins max. im using dvd shrink. im thinking of upgrading the drive to a sony dru-710a also. what do you think?

7. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Are you backing up retail dvd's? or are you converting mpeg's or avi's to dvd format?

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

DJLAD,
    Can you tell us how long approx. each process is taking so we can try and narrow it down.
    Ripping process -
    Encoding Process -
    Burning process -

That would help a lot :)

9. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

im backing retail dvd's
    analysing takes about an hour
    encoding is an hour sometimes more
    and the burn is like 40 mins . it varies slighty between each dvd i backup.
    i even defrag often, i dont get it. im thinking maybe its the drive. im really tempted to buy that sony dru-710a today. what do you guys think about it?

10. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

DJLAD, I have the DRU 710A, and am happy with it, but I really think you need to make sure there isn't something else going on before you go out and buy it. You are not going to be happy if that's not the problem and your burns are just as long with the new burner.

Those are pretty long times analyzing and encoding. (Well, the burn time to, but let's take it one step at a time.) But if you are trying to shrink a full dvd9 to dvd5, and especially if you are doing deep analysis, then the times may not be out of line.

Now if you were doing a "movie only" shrink, and those were your times, then I'd say something is wrong.

Something else to make sure you understand:
    Buying a new burner isn't going to change this! Your burner isn't involved in these steps. And the processor specs you site are plenty for the task here, so I'm pretty sure that your problem is that you are trying to shrink too much. Do a "movie only" shrink and your times will increase quite a bit.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  11. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

i see, my current drive has a max write speed of 4x i think! if i get the new drive , wont it burn faster? plus i would like to be able to burn dvd+r dual layer discs's.
    as for encoding and analysis , im not only burning the main movie, im burning everything the same as the original. i guess thats why its taking so long then right?

12. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Moving large files on and off hard drive can fragment your hard drive quickly. Depending on how long you have had windows loaded since last format. Personaly I would wipe it clean and reload windows sometimes that can be faster than finding the problem. But I format and reload windows abought every 6 months becouse I beta test alot of software,Format reload windows 20 minutes, maybe another hour loading software back on box for me. Another thing I alway Rip and burn using DVD decrypter and DVD shrink runs faster pulling files off hard drive rather than dvd disk. Try Reauthor in shrink usually when you pull just the tittle over there is little or no compression
    With no compression Shrink runs much faster. Personally I don't see much diffrence but Im Running 3.4gig processor and 1gig of memory all SATA Raptures. With 45 minute burns something is wrong 4X should be around 15 minutes and even 2X around 30 minutes, Sounds like you have some file checking going on in burner software slowing burning process down. Im running the Sony DRU710A you mention not a bad drive, If I where you I would look hard at the new pioneer drive 109 wait till you can see some quality tests on it the sony drive is very picky with media and write speeds to get quality burns.Verbatum MCC003+R8X looks the best burned at 6X (10minutes).

Good Luck

Spacedust.

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there DJLAD

it seems to me that your system isnt quite right! i have a slower spec system and my dvd stuff is:

rip = 20/25mins
    compress = 20/25mins
    burn = 14mins @ 4x

so all about 1 hour.

1, now is your aspi layer upto date? www.adaptec.com search "ASPI"

1a, and is working ok?
    for testing the aspi layer use nero info tool...

1b, do you have the latest via 4in1 drivers for your motherboard? if not get them and load...

2, you say its UDMA 5 but sometimes it can report wrong! check the settings in the bios...

2a, uninstall the the controller in device manager for IDE/ATAPI and reboot your PC, it will load back to UDMA fresh

(ARE YOU USEING A 40 WIRE EIDE CABLE FOR YOUR DRIVE? if so dump it! and use an 80 wire!)

ok, if i think of any thing else will let you know! but do those things above! if not sure drop back here!

good luck!

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I still think that Jerry and Rotary are on the right track. Something doesn't make sense, especially with two large HD's also in the system and Ultra DMA 5 on an older burner? Mine is brand new and set at Ultra DMA 4 and my HD's are at Ultra DMA6. Maybe I just need more coffee since I am not that clear today.

What are each of your devices listed or attached to. HD’s on Primary IDE and what else do you have on your Secondary IDE besides your burner. Is it set to cable select or master?

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there scubabud....

yes are your bios settings on AUTO DETECT on drives for booting up? have a look here for dma settings and the place to uninstall the atapi and reboot...

[​IMG]

notice in the greyed out area its device auto detection! WHATS YOURS?

[​IMG]

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Hey Rotary :)

Maybe I do need coffee because I wasn't asking for myself, I was asking [bold]DJLAD[/bold] those questions and saying that I feel both you and Jerry were correct in the path that you were going. But if I am to understand you and you are asking what my settings are, I also included a couple of jpg's on my HD's at 6 and my Optical’s at 4 and 2. :)

Let me know if you feel that I have congenital brain damage today… :)

Thanks

Primary IDE - HD's
    [​IMG]

Seconday IDE - Opticals, Device 0 is burner, Device 1 is DVD-Rom
    [​IMG]

17. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

rotary, you lost me
    my secondary IDE setting says UDMA 2 AND PRIMARY SAYS 5. maybe you can tell me more about my pc than i can, it's a sony vaio PCV-RZ24g , i upgraded to an extra 300GB HD and 1GB ram. i bought it at the end of '03. there is a single 40 pin wire connecting the 2 HD's and another single 40 pin connecting dvd burner and cd rom.

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

DJLAD

Do these ribbon cables have blue ends that attach to the MB and Black and Grey ends for your devices?

Are the black ends connected to your Master devices.

The only way you can get the effect/benefits of Ultra DMA is to have an 80 wire ribbon. They look the same but will have the blue, black and grey connectors I spoke of.

Also, nothing wrong with having UDMA5 on Primary, that's your (ATA-100) HD. That is also why I flagged your previous statement:

since this would of meant that you were running an optical drive at 100 instead of the normal 33 or 66.

Forget all that and just check the ribbon cables and get back to us on that first. Don't forget to see how you have your jumpers on all devices and which jumper setting goes with which color connector.

Master to black
    Grey to slave
    Blue to MB

19. DJLAD

DJLAD Guest

ok, i just looked. the HD's are correct...black to master, gray to slave , blue to MB. but i noticed that the pin setting on the master is correct and is set to "master". the pin setting on the 2nd is set to cable select! removing the jumper would make "drive to slave" . should i remove jumper or leave as is?

now as for the dvd and cd drives... all 3 plugs are black ! the dvd is on top with a jumper on the right and the cd on bottom with a jumper on left, i dont know the settings for these and i never touched them!

20. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

DJLAD

It's better to set the slave HD jumper to slave, only because some systems screw up when left to C/S only. It won't hurt to just make sure once and for all.

On your Optical drives, replace the ribbon cable with an 80 pin as I stated before. On the back/top/somewhere you will see these markings on the optical drives:

(C over an S), (S over an L), and (M over an A). In other words CS, SL, and MA. Just below these letters should be the jumper for them. If the text is just placed on top of the burner for example, look at the back of your burner and find the jumper currently on the unit(s). There should be three sets of double pins. When looking at the back of your optical, usually they go this way. Middle is the slave, right is the Master, and left is the Cable select. Just make sure and remember how they are now for reference. Sounds like they also set up your CD drive as Cable select. Move that jumper to the middle position.

Set the burner as your master with the black connector.
    Set your DVD-Rom as your slave with the grey connector. (CD-Rom if this is what you have.)
    Put the blue connector to your MB.

When this is done check again your settings and make sure you are on UDMA again. It would not hurt to uninstall your secondary channel in device manager and reboot after this either. Then check again.

Let me add this now, since I did just finish my coffee this morning...

This doesn't mean this is a cure all, it's just a starting point with knowledge that every piece of hardware is where it's supposed to be. If your burner cannot exceed UDMA2 then this cable change will be a mild help only. If it can, then it will be a great help and will show right away. Either way, it’s the right thing to do to help prevent crosstalk, etc.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005