1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does my stand alone player only play some recorded discs from a pc.

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Steffanio, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Steffanio

Steffanio Guest

Could some one please tell me why some dvds I get recorded on a pc will only play on a pc as these are not recorded in real time for a stand alone dvd player.Yet I have got a couple of dvds that have been recorded using a pc that will play on my stand alone dvd player with all the menu working on it just like an original dvd.Can you record from a computer in real time for a stand alone dvd player now?

2. Navig8r

Navig8r Regular member

there are a few reasons, this could be happening. What type of files are you burning to the DVD. What type of DVD media are you using? Also what type of stand alone player do you use?

3. Steffanio

Steffanio Guest

I cannot burn files from my computer onto dvd for I do not have the software but I have received discs that have been recorded on a pc that will only play on a pc but not on my stand alone dvd player.Then I have received some dvd+r discs that have been recorded with all the chapters on the disc working that will play on my stand alone player.The stand alone dvd recorder that I have is the Pioneer dvr-3100 and the discs I use for recording is the datasafe dvd-r 4x ones.I have no problems in using my recorder.It is just the way some discs will not play on it and just on the pc.How is it possible to get all discs recorded on a computer to play on my dvd player.

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Steffanio, Welcome to AfterDawn!

The discs that will not play on your stand alone are not DVD-Video compliant. Your DVD player does not recognize them as DVDs.

For a DVD to play in a stand-alone, it must be recorded in a way that meets the DVD-Video specifications. This means that that the video data must be formatted in a specific way and that navigation data is also provided.

Your PC on the other hand, can play the video files alone and can even play discs with improper navigation structure.

A disc with proper structure looks like this if you open the VIDEO_TS folder. From Lord of The Rings, The Two Towers, main title only:

VIDEO-TS.IFO
    VIDEO-TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_01_5.VOB

The .IFOs are navigation files, The .BUPs are backups for these. The .VOBs contain the actual video data.

If you were to open the discs that won't play on your stand-alone you will probably see something different.

Discs that are not recorded with the proper structure cannot be made to play on your stand-alone unless the video files are burned to a new disc with the addition of a compliant nav structure.

Well, I hope this helps you!

Cheers,
    Frank

5. Steffanio

Steffanio Guest

Thankyou for the information Frank.Could you please let me know what format or files have to be recorded onto a disc using a pc so that the disc will play on my pioneer dvr-3100 stand alone player.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Steffanio,

The files are just like those I listed above. Do you intend to burn playable copys of the discs that only play in your PC? If so, let me know what files are on them now so I can figure out what programs you might need.

Put your disc in your DVD drive and then open it in Windows Explorer. Using the list view, you should see what is on the disc.

Frank

7. snkvcap

snkvcap Member

HI, i'm having the same problem as Steff. The thing is that my files from, The Passion of the Christ, look like this:

VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1
    VTS_01_2
    VTS_01_3
    VTS_01_4

My prob. is that only WindowsMP seems to recognise them, thus, when I burn them to a DVD-R and play on a stand along player, the DVD player gives an error. Why is that? I there a way to make sure the files are burnt to the DVD-R in the correct order?

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well your files look normal. Are they all inside a VIDEO_TS folder? How did you get them in the first place?

Most of the time there is no reason to open the VIDEO_TS folder before burning. The folder itself is what gets burned.