1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why does slower burn speed yield fewer surface defects?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by MooreBaby, Mar 12, 2005.

1. MooreBaby

MooreBaby Member

Why does using a slower burn speed yield fewer surface defects?

8x discs burned at 8x yield surface defects and disc is unusable... burning at 4x seems to minimize the problem... what is this besides crappy media?

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

basically the slower the burn, the longer the laser stays on each spot, the better the laser is able to mark out each pit

Even with good quality 8x media, most ppl burn at 4x to reduce the risk of errors, and its not that much slower

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Exactly......................

So if you have crappy media from the start (bad reflectivity/bad dye) then it ain't going to get any better except to slow the burn down and limit the crappiness to a bear minimum.

Even if the burn process is successful (all pits burned etc) then it is no guarantee that standalones and Dvdroms will be able to read them due to low/poor refelctivity levels.

As deadcat states, regarding 'under rated speed burns' this seems to be the more common and solid way of produce flaw free dvd's.

I only ever burn at 4x with 4x discs, the 8x media has not convinced me enough that they have the same ratio between speed and quality as the 4x media.

It only takes 15 mins to burn at 4x speed, just enoguh time for a coffee and a tinkle, then your done.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I have to concur with all above. I can burn a disc @4x in no more than 15mins. Until the media companies get their act together, we will not make much progress.
    Whether that will happen or not is a different matter! I'm perfectly happy with my times. Especially as to amount of info you are burning is phenomenal. I am still in wonderment (is that a word?) as to what PCs can do now, compared to 5 years ago.

When you think of all those zeros & ones flying around the bits of wire & tracks in the M/B & the amount of transistors you have in a chip, it is awe inspiring.

Is this relevant to the topic?

Pulsar

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

always relevent when you are a senior member..LOL

Tends to bring 'The Matrix' a little closer to the truth........

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Someone once said to me

"Prove you are not a figment of your imagination"

Thinking about it, the "Matrix" could be a lot more relevant than you care to wish!

Pulsar

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Makes you think..........however i haven't managed the roof top jump yet......

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I did, but I don't think that a wendy house counts!

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LMAO..............

10. MooreBaby

MooreBaby Member

Thanks for the explanation...

so really... is there any reason to pay for 8x disks... if one were to stick to 4x burn speeds anyway (dont care about the extra 6 or 7 minutes... takes even longer to verify and reburn :( )

sounds like 4x is cheaper and better at this point then?

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Most here burn at 4x, there are too many chances of writing errors. Stick with 4x, you will not go far wrong.

12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I concur with pulsar, however 4x discs are becoming less and less available, but are still available (if you know what I mean).

You will find that alot of 8x discs will actually yield good if not perfect results just by burning them at 4x instead of 8x.

Pop over to the dvd media forum, you'll get the low down and probably the best type of discs to use there.......................

Heres the link http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/47

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005