1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why does the movies look pixely?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by drew4824, May 4, 2005.

1. drew4824

drew4824 Member

is there anyway to improve the video quality of the movie? it looks like squares on everything sometimes

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

The more you compress a movie, the more likely you'll see that, especially on fast-moving action scenes or scenes with bright colors. That is the reason I would rather split a movie onto 2 DVDs than compress and fit into one. It would bother me less to get up once during a movie to change the discs than to watch an entire movie with pixelization. Reduce the compression by removing extras and some sound files or just split onto 2 discs.

3. hctr3

hctr3 Member

I see this question alot, and I have seen all kinds of potential solutions. But one that I really have not seen sugested, especialy to people who are brand new to this, is the fact their DVD player might not like movies that have been backed up. Or more simply they don't like the DVD - / + R formats. Or does this get brought up and I have just missed it??

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

drew4824 ,
    The only way I know to improve Quality is to do like Dog Bomb stated and also use Good quality blank media ( Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden etc) and also slow the burn speed down. If you are trying to do the whole disk suggest you try DVDRebuilder and CCE or go to D/L disks or put the movie on 2 disks like what was stated above

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yup, in addition to the other replies, i personally only ever do movie only, and (for me) regardless of the compression percentage i end up with , i [bold]never[/bold] have problems (500+ burns so far) with fast action scenes, or skipping, freezing or anything else on my movies..

..movie only, v good media, no multitasking during burn, loads of free memory, and i only ever burn at 4x. Burn limit is 4300MB even though i'm using hi quality Verb media

6. dvdisme

dvdisme Guest

with dvd shrink click "reauthor" ; the select title under main movie by double clicking it ; now select "compression setting" ; uncheck every box except "english 5.1" ; if you still don't get 100 % ; right click the title you selected under main movie (now on the left side), select set start/end frames ; now you can "clip" the credits for additional quality

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yup, well spotted,i forgot about the start/end frames (i forgot as i v rarely do this tho). plus, miss off any audio tracks such as DTS (i only keep 5.1 (wow did House of daggers last night and the dts track was 1.2GB !!!)

8. hursty

hursty Active member

pixelation is something i have never had a problem with,and i keep everything on the dvd,sometimes shrinking down to as low as 45/50 %,
    if you use good quality media,it shouldnt really be noticeable,not unless you are watching it on a 50 ft tv screen,.....!!!

i use clonedvd2/anydvd combo......the best,with flawless results,
    if anyone can suggest a better combo,i'd like to hear about it

regards hursty

9. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Only time I got pixelation was trying to compress Soprano disk on crappy media, was using Khypermedia, switched to Verbatim and had no problems with the high compression. But I have now switched to splitting the episodic disks. Since I got CloneDVD2 I can split and still keep the menus on both disks.