1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why don't my DVD+R drives recognise discs sometimes?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Amir89, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Hi all.

I have 2 DVD+R/RW-DL drives, both of them LG.

Master=GSA-H20L (LightScribe)
    Slave =GSA-4167B

Now for some reason, I have no idea why, occasionally when I put a disc into either one of the drives, (but this happens more so with the Master one), they'll just fail to recognize a disc is in the drive AT ALL.

It looks like they attempt to read it for a few seconds but then they just stop and the LED goes off. I open up My Computer and try open either drive and it says there is no disc inserted.

Doesn't matter what kind of disc it, DVD, CD, Game disc, DVD Movie, Audio CD, it's happened with all of them.

Sometimes a disc fails to read in one and I try the other and it works fine, or strangely if I run AnyDVD, that seems to make the drives recognize the discs suddenly.

Anyone know what's going on?

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

make sure you have the most up to date firmware but its probably a software conflit problem which is hard to pin down

3. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

They're both up to date; device manager shows no conflicts as far as I know.

Could it be something to do with the jumper positions?

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

no since you have one set master and one as slave it should be ok, you might check your bios setting to make sure both are enabled

5. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

I see.. I'm not too familiar with BIOS settings, especially since I have this HP Media Center PC and they lock pretty much any advanced stuff out of the BIOS.

I'll have a look around.

6. tejasmed

tejasmed Member

I had the same thing happen with a brand new LG unit. No matter what I did, it would not recognize the disks. I just had all I could take and bundled it up the next day and returned it and got a new Memorex instead.
    Wish I could be more help. I tried every trick including trying to upgrade the firmware, and that was even rejected as an option.
    The LG that I thought was a bargin, just turned into a headache and time wasted.
    Tejasmed

7. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Hmm well mine aren't THAT bad, I mean they write, read, copy and do all that fine, it's just sometimes they'll pretend like there's no disc in the drive when there is!

Ah well... guess I'll have to live with it for now