1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why DVD Decrypter + DVD Shrink?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ketamine, Dec 1, 2004.

1. ketamine

ketamine Member

I've always wondered why so many people use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink? DVD Shrink can rip and transcode. Is DVD Decryper faster or better at decrypting? I've never had a problem ripping with DVD shrink. What am I missing?

2. clark10

clark10 Member

I only use both if Shrink is not reading from the disc fast enough decrypter is more aggressive in situations like that

3. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

There are a few reasons to use them together.
    1)The rare occasion that Shrink just won't crack the encryption.
    2)Scratched discs can sometimes be handled by decrypter where Shrink will give an error.
    3)Free Encoder + Free Burn Program = Making backups without paying a cent for software.

4. colw

colw Active member

As per the messages above.

If Shrink is doing the job OK - Decrypter is not necessary.

However, Decrypter does have a burn engine while Shrink does not and for some the burn engine is useful.

Decrypter does have some other useful features such as the ability to rip audio only and does appear to be more powerful in ripping disks of dubious quality.

95% of the time Shrink will do the job but for the the problematic ones - decrypter is a very useful backup utility to have on your system.

5. ketamine

ketamine Member

Thanks. I was worried I was missing something. That clears it up. Since I always use nero for burning and never had a problem ripping with DVD Shrink I think I'm good.