1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why DVD ripping first??

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by TheWood, Aug 26, 2003.

1. TheWood

TheWood Member

I have been using DVD X Copy Express and the DVD ripping method (DVD Decrypter, DVD2One, and Nero) to make back-ups of my movies. Obviously one is a lot quicker than the other. Is the main difference between the two methods... With the DVD ripping method you can copy a copy?? (haven't tried this yet, but heard it works.) Or is personal preference?

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Yes, that's one of the advantages.

3. rosielies

rosielies Member

The Wood: From what I was told the other day, you cannot use DxCx to backup a copy. You can however make your backup with DxCx and then copy that backup by using the Nero "disc Copy" option.

From all the advice I have received the past few days, I am sure there are quicker/other ways to do this I just haven't had the time to try. Take the time to read other forums about copying a copy, they are extremely helpful.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2003
  4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

There are ways to bypass the back up copying restrictions within DVDXCopy.
    If you search hard enough you should be able to find it as I don't think it'll have expired yet (message threads expire after a certain time limit)

5. rosielies

rosielies Member

Yea, I figured there was a way around those restrictions. I searched for it but could not find it.

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I'd never suggest using DVDXCopy to anyone
    In the first place it used to have warning screens splashing 'this is a back up copy' or similar (dunno if these warning screens are still incorperated)
    Plus there is the fact that you need to know the work around for copying a back up... etc etc

[bold]DVD Decrypter
    DVD2One or DVD Shrink
    RecordNow DX or Nero [/bold]

Much more preferable choices of the back up process imho

With the methods above you have no problem doing a copy of a back up (I use Nero)

7. mice

mice Member

I agree with herbsman.
    I use exactly the same software (just not Nero)
    If I can be bothered, I might try and use InstantCopy...I've heard it produces nicer quality video (but takes longer).
    From all the guides on the net, I found it hard to identify which software is best. Figure out what is best for you - experiment and see what results you get.