1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Is Compression Needed And why can't I find Silver discs'

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dbw99, Jan 15, 2005.

1. dbw99

dbw99 Member

Hey All,
    Both these questions have probably been answered many times but I was wondering if anyone knew why we need to compress the DVD (shrink), to put it on the disc?
    Isn't the disc I have as big as the disc they have ? and if not , Why? Are their disc Double layer? I know that since I have been buying DVD-r, +R, etc. I have not come across any that are silver on the burning side. Are these special for comercial use only. Still they should be available SOMEWHERE.
    These are some questions that are bugging me. Any answers would be appreciated greatly.

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

up until recently you could only buy single layer (4.5gb) dvd-+r which is why you need to compress. The silver bottoms are dvd -rom not made in a burner, they are pressed and therefore can not be bought. Double layer are available at the moment for an absolute fortune so would disregard them as a viable means of making backups
    Maybe have a read of AD's glossary/guides for anything else
    http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

3. dbw99

dbw99 Member

Deadcat
    Ah, Pressed. That makes sense.
    Yea, I have a Sony DL burner, but with the prices being what they are, no desire to start putting data on them. Actually, I'm finding I don't really want the extra stuff included on most DVD's, and I usually have enough space without compression. Which, by the way I cant really tell is there anyway.
    Thanks again.

4. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

yep just about everyone i know has stayed away from DL for the time being, when the discs come down to around $1 i might try some, but that wont be for a while